Skipjack illegal?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfisherokie, Jan 6, 2009.

1. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Wondering if anyone knows about the new regulation here in Okla. that states it is unlawful to have blueback herring? I think they are skipjack but am not positive. Harley brought this to my attention yesterday. I talked to Albert about it as well but no one knows for sure if one of our favorite baits is now illegal to use. Here is a link to the article. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/2009fishguide.pdf
    It is listed on page 3 in the yellow box under changes this year.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    not the same but same family

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I couldn't get the link to come up on this dial up, I'll look at it tomorrow at work. The blue back herring is actually an ocean fish, I can't believe they would be talking about skip jack's but you never know. If so I'll tell them i've got baby tarpen :smile2:.

4. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    lol...you never know anymore with the laws they dream up. Seems odd to list an ocean fish here in Oklahoma. It would sure be a shame if it is skippies though....:confused2:

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i read it and i do not belive they are talking about skipjack , all in the herring family .fish on bait sells blue backherring frozen.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Blueback Herring
    Family: Clupeidae
    Name: Blueback herring (Alosa aestivalis)
    Length: 15.7 inches
    Weight: 3 pounds
    Range: East Coast of United States and Canada
    Diet: Copepods, insects, shrimp, worms and fish

Skipjack herring
    Family: Clupeidae
    Name: Skipjack herring (Alosa chrysochloris)
    Length: 21 inches
    Weight: 3.5 pounds
    Range: Mississippi, Ohio, Missouri Rivers
    Diet: Small fish

Attached Files:

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I got aholt of Gene Gilliland, Chief Biologist for the ODWC for an answer that will shed light on this question. He allowed that our skipjack is not the same fish as a blueback. The blueback is a herring from the East Coast which can tolerate fresh water.

The ODWC stance is that if it ain't native, and the ODWC is not stocking it, it don't belong here.

Nuff Said!

8. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thats good to hear Albert.....you won't have to clean out that freezer now:smile2:

9. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have used both of them they are not the same fish. What difference could it make , unless they were live bait? Would be a hard job keeping one alive from Fl to Ok. Hope our chicken livers and hot dogs or ok ! Doin't use any live ones.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Reading the entire paragraph, I think that they meant it to apply to live fish....but the wording doesn't specify live or dead. Either they forgot to put in the word 'live', or they think that dead fish can propagate. Seems odd that they wouldn't want people to remove bighead and silver carp from their waters. Around here, most of the bighead carp caught are taken home and eaten. They're supposed to be good tasting, but bony.