Skipjack, how to catch bigguns

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by STICKBENDER, Aug 7, 2006.

1. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm ot having any problem catching skipjack but I've got a couple hundred 3-4" ones but, I want some larger so I can use cut up bait, I'm using sabaki (sp) rigs and fishing fast water but can't seam to find anything with size, What am I doing wrong

2. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Try using a 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz jig head ( white, yellow or lime green ) with a blue, red, lime green, red or white currly ( twister ) tail. You'll have to try to get the reel in speed adjusted to what they will hit on. Heck, on some day's the only thing they would hit on were straight lead headed jig's with pink currly tail's. If you like catchin skip jack for cat bait. The jig's with currly tail's near a dam or swift water from a clear stream flow into your main body of water alway's worked for me. Just figuring out where they are hiding behind and what they will hit on, is the hard part. Good luck!

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    use the bigger jig head like was suggested and try a mini-sassi shad get there right at day-break and reel it pretty fast along the top..i have caught them over 2lbs here:tounge_out:

4. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Good suggestion Sam, I'm going to try that myself. Thank's