Skipjack how far north?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Dec 15, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I was fishing earlier this year at the Luke Chute dam on the Muskingum and I caught my first skipjack, on a white roadrunner jig. I thought they were an Ohio river fish. Has anyone else caught them in the Muskingum, and how far north?

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am sure someone will chime in, but I know for a fact that skips are not just an Ohio river fish at all..

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What does the Muskingum flow into?

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I caught one once about 25 miles inland on the Little Miami River near Morrow, ( no dams from there down to the mainstem) and have seen them below the dam on the GMR at Hamilton, other then that, only seen them on the Ohio in Ohio .

the Mooneye is more common inland and often confused for a Skippie, any chance it was a mooneye?

Salmonid

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Very possible, I meant to take a pic of the fish but didn't. A week or so ago I saw some guys catching skipjacks and they looked just like the one I caught. Where I caught it was 4 dams upstream from the Ohio. I just thought they didn't like our shallow river LOL.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
  7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Here are a couple of pictures with info ... that might explain and you can see what you had .....

Attached Files:

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks Garry, It did have teeth, it was more slender than the mooneye, but not as torpedo shaped as the skipjack. It also had more of a pointed snout than the mooneye. It was a very silver fish with a black back and the edges of its tail fin were black too. I suppose it could be either LOL. Next time I'll take a picture.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That ain't no SkipJack!!!!!!!

Misidentifying a baitfish around here will cause you all sorts of GRIEF!!!!

Ask me how I know?:embarassed:

See this image:

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I stand corrected .... Although the book calls it a skipjack, it apparently is the one we are conerned with ... so attached below I believe to be the correct fish in question ... it is a member of the same family as the Shad as stated in the text.

Let me guess Skipeye .... you had a visit from a Game Warden .... Hmmmmm!

Attached Files:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats the fish I caught Darryl, thank you for the pic lol.

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Nope........Far, far worse than that!:eek:oooh:

I was ridiculed and beat upon mercilessly by my fellow BOC Brethren! They still humor themselves on occassion. Hence the screen name I now use. That became my unwelcomed moniker as they chuckled on and on, so I finally just went with it. A tough crowd it is!:smile2:

Greatest bunch of Riff-Raff I have had the pleasure to meet though. You just gotta be able to dish it out toe-to-toe around here!:wink:

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Too bad Darryl didn't always keep that picture with him! He's got 'em plastered all over the inside of his boat now!

Don't worry Darryl-the first time I paid for "Skipjack", I ended up with tunas!

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Nobody wants to get the wiseacres going on this site, they are many while the true fishermen are few LOL. I hate to say I may be one of them, but I never heard about your mishap D LOL. It wouldn't be a friendly site if there wasn't some ribbin going on.

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Well Doug there is after all a skipjack tuna. Just hope the guy selling it didn't advertise it as a Herring. I would have wanted my money back.:tounge_out:

Did you catch any Cats on it or did you mix in some mayo and eat it?:smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My goodness......Have you been in jail the last 6 months or what? I was (and still am on occassion) tarred and feathered publicly 'round these parts.:eek:oooh: Mostly in the Missouri threads but I'd say there has been some National attention too. LMAO!

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I should get out of the Ohio thread more. I might not have piled on but I'm sure I could have added a sarcastic comment lol.

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    "Chicken of the Sea"!

Not eatin' that crap! Was pretty nasty.:eek:oooh: