Skipjack Herrings Finally!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by tkishkape, Sep 1, 2008.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    This may be old news but here goes:

Early in the mornings the mature skipjack are in the fast water below Lock and Dam 16 (Webbers Falls). They are caught with long rods casting a string of three large 5/0 flies tied on dropper loops with a 4oz or 5oz sinker at the end of the line.

There are scads of the smaller ones available all day long on tiny 1/32 jigs again tied in a string of three on dropper loops with a 1/4 or 3/8 oz sinker at the end.. Preferred colors include blue, yellow and multicolor jigs.

The same conditions exist below most hydroelectric dams including Eufaula, all of the L&D's and some lakes that drain into the Arkansas River.

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    skipjack here at lock and dam #15 also! my son and randy were able to put some in the freezer last night as well, were caught on light tackel on the south side. i plan on going withthem tomorrow after work and get some more while we can if that hurricane holds off a little:big_smile:

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Same thing here at Eufaula dam, when they run turbines. Cat bite is good, stripers are on & off when they move in to run shad on top.

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    albert i might have to come down and get some, so those will last all winter in the freezer???

5. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    mat we are putting ours up in vacume seal bags, we put them up whole and will last a long time, we will save them for the winter months when its hard to find shad and might use some during some tournaments as well

6. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Are they at keystone dam?

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    They'll last until you use them!

Right now, they come in two sizes... 12-14" and 4-6". The big ones are found along the face of the dam with a long cast from a long pole. The small ones can be reached in the fast water with current ripples and foam on it. An ultra-lite is fun but a big one will strip all of that 4 pound line if it doesn't break.:confused2:

Don't let any grass grow under yer butt or you'll miss out. I'm getting a hundred of the small ones a day. :big_smile:

8. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    If it wasn't so far away from me, I'd sure go get some of em.

9. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Would you be interested in catching some and sending some my way for a fee? So I can use some this winter. I cant seem to find any in Oklahoma city

10. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    what kind of lure works best for skipjack?:confused2:

11. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    The guys here at Euf. dam are catchin e'm on small crappie jigs, or the Sabiki rigs with the multiple hooks.

12. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we were using a kattakuri rig,seem like white were working best, we tore them up on the rip rap, an tried crappie jigs but stayed hung up with those. our local bait shop has sold out of the kattakuri rigs:sad2: