Skipjack Herring substitute

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by GUP, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Hello all. I have been using this site for quite a while now. It is a great source for information. This is my first post so here goes. I have a frozen bait that I have been trying out this year that works really well. The problem with skipjack is two fold. 1) It's expensive to buy for the amount of fish you get. 2) It can be hard to find as well.I personally don't like to use the body of skipjack, just the head. It's because it is very soft meat, and can be hard to keep on the hook. At any rate, here's what I have. It is a vacuum sealed tray of herring containing 10-12pcs of 6"-7" long fish. The fish are identical in build to Skipjack. There are 2 main differences. 1) They are a blue/green tint on the top half of the body. 2) They contain more oil in the flesh than Skipjack do. Which is a good thing. I have fished them just hooking through the eyes, taken a hook through the bottom of the jaw and up through the head, and also used a bait needle to have the hook out of the tail. They worked great all three ways.

Thanks,
    Jon Gupton

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Jon. I usually have no problem catching fresh bait. But out of curiosity what kind of bait fish is it?

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hey Jon, welcome to the BOC. I am glad that you find the site useful.

4. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    You guys are quick, I just posted my message 2 minutes ago. The fish are type of Herring of the same family as Skipjack.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all Welcome to the BOC.Your gonna love it here and get spoiled.
    Second just where do you get the Herring (cousin) to Skipjack? Sounds interesting.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jon. Glad you joined us.

7. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the B.O.C./S.O.C. Jon!:cool2:

8. speeedman

speeedman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish lake michigan alot for king salmon, we use what is called a meat rig. The "meat" is a filet of herring that fits in to a plastic head which gives it action - a roll type action. This bait has proven extremely effective for salmon. One trick is to put atleast 4 baits out so the smell of the herring is thick in the water. The kings tear it up. The herring comes in packages of 6 filets in a plastic box and the herring is soaking in herring oil. It has tons of smell to it - rich oily smell. I have caught channel cats on it before but havent tried it for blues yet. Soon as I get a chance I will post my results. I live 6 hrs from the ohio and dont want to spend time trying to catch bait so I will be trying this herring. It comes frozen from Fish On bait company. Check out their website - you can buy whole vacuum packed herring also but it is not packed in herring oil. Cant wait to try it on the ohio. Six filets in the package are about $6. A little pricey but not considering the drive I have to get to the river, I buy a case at a time so it is a little cheaper that way.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jon Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.Would like to hear more about the skipjack cousin.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Jon! I have trouble getting fresh skipjack locally, so I make a 250 mile trip every spring to stock up. The skippies average pretty close to 2# each, and aren't mushy when frozen and thawed out one time. Refreezing and rethawing makes them mushier and mushier, though. I can generally get by with refreezing them once or twice before they get too mushy to stay on the hook well.

11. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jon,
    Welcome,
    What river did you get them from ? ( Missouri ) ? Are they a herring or a Mooneye ( or Goldeye ) .Threadfin shad, Gizzard shad, Alabama shad, Sawtoothed Herring? How big were they , did they have teeth, or teeth on their toungs?
    Paul

12. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    The fish come from the northern states. They are typically called a lake herring. They are from the family of fish called "Alosa Chrysochloris". They aren't a Gizzard shad or a Mooneye shad, but they are closely related and a member of the same "family" of fish. I fish the Missouri River regularly. I previously only used the heads from Skipjack herring I was buying frozen. You can get them fresh here in Missouri if you know where to go to catch them at certain times of the year. But you risk not catching enough to last you. At any rate, this product is a frozen whole bait, just like you would do with Skipjack. You fish it the same way. I am located in Missouri and am looking to start a bait supply business because I believe in this product. Hopefully I can start in western Missouri and get enough people to try it and like it, and the business will grow! Hopefully everyone wins. The goal is to provide Cat fisherman with a good bait at a good price that is readily available. I am sure most of you will agree, it can be difficult to get Skipjack at times, not to mention pricey.

Thanks,
    Jon G

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    He must mean the Alewife..thats my guess anyway.

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    First post, and your already tryin' to make money off of us!:confused2:

Skipjack can be expensive, but shad and carp work pretty good if that's all you've got. I'm from Missouri, so you're going to have to show me how good your bait is.

I'd be happy to give it a trial run for you and be your spokesperson on the BOC. Just pm me about my shipping address, and we'll work out the details.

Nice working with you Jon!:wink:

15. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    He has 6 more ads to run before he can Pm ya, LOL.

16. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    I'm not trying to make any money....yet.

Seriously though I am just here talking to see if there is any interest. This is more or less an alternative that falls between Skipjack and Shad. If the interest is there, the next step is to get the guys that know, guys like Dougc, to try the bait out. That's the only way to prove the bait out.

This whole idea was born from the frustration of not being able to get the bait I wanted. It is a bait that worked for me and a couple of guys I know that fish quite a bit.

17. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Thanks JimmyJonny, I wasn't sure how the PM thing worked. Won't this little bit of typing tally up one more? It won'e much longer now dougc!

18. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    No prob, LOL. And btw welcome to the -BoC-

19. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Thanks JimmyJonny, It's always good to make new aquaintances. What does LOL mean? Lots of Luck, or Laugh out Loud? I'm guessing the second? :confused2: I don't get out much on the internet.

20. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Oh, I forgot, that free information will only cost you one free bag of mystery bait, LOL