Skipjack Herring IN Missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BIGMO, Mar 26, 2009.

1. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK I hate to ask this cause im sure its been beat to death but...
    Where can I find SkipJack Herring IN Missouri. I am in North Central but I am wondering ANYwhere in Missouri where u can find skipjack (not goldeye). Thanks for any info u guys have.

2. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    You can catch them on the Mississippi River but you will have to wait till it gets hot outside.

3. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Mississippi is the only place I've heard of them in missouri too. They said behind the dikes is a good place for them to congregate. Its 5 hours away from me though. I am on the Northwest side area. hour from St Joe. I was wondering if there was a place to catch em over here but also want to know where in Missouri in case I am fishin in the area. Thanks for the heads up.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll tell you a little secret. Gavins point dam. Now I don't know how far south they go but I do know I have got them there. I also know of others that do pretty good there. It seems like it's more summer time though. The goldeye are real thick up there as well. They are here in the KC area. I get one or two every year.

5. ljensen

ljensen New Member

State:
    mo
    Jon you can get skips along the rocks up in the St Joe area using worms under a bobber while you fish for cats at least that works for me late summer using grasshoppers works well to

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bagnel Dam from late april till late june. Use small silver and gold casting spoons, bobbers with minnows, jigs, and inline spinners. Go on the power generation side and fish right @ the line burning the lures back right under the surface when the turbines are on. I have filled a cooler before full of skipps and mooneyes. And be ready to catch a lot of white bass and even big hybrid every now and then. I have aslo got them out of the mo river when catfishing just using a bobber and minnow in the current right off the dikes.:cool2:

7. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys thanks alot for the info. I was beginning to think these guys were home raising the things. I saw Jon Jamison say that he was using them at waverly (whish is one of our spots) and i thought how the heck is he finding them. lol. course he goes everywhere so he coulda got em at pickwick and shrink wrap and froze em. speakin of, a guy i know just got back from pickwick ..... lotsa big blues. they wore themselves out before 10pm catchin em starting at 7. lol. O btw he wont cough up any of his newly aquired skipjack lol. cant blame him as much as he fishes.