Skipjack help!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by j.bridges, Jun 29, 2008.

1. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Need a report about the skippies below wheeler and wilson....Are there any down that way because theres none below guntersville right now...Thanks in advance....:0a23:

2. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Jason,

I'll be up there in a few weeks, just waiting on the spawn to finish up and get the time. I don't think I've ever been up there when they weren't there. Last year I hit'em up good in June and in August. If you've got a boat you should be able to land a bunch. Fishing from the bank is hit and miss.

3. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    It seems from guntersville north the skips have disappeared and I was wondering if it was the same over there..I'am down to my last few bags and as most trophy cat hunters know that ain't good...I'll be over there alot over the next month so maybe I'll be able to restock and catch a few monsters too....Thanks for the info...

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Are these the best places to catch the skips. I will be living down that way in March and will need to resupply

5. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    In north alabama it is but right now it's pretty tuff...

6. bluewatercat

bluewatercat New Member

State:
    Killen Alabama
    they were at wheeler monday

7. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I fished Wheeler Dam this evening, (Thursday), and they really showed up around 6 pm. Sabiki rig worked best. Good luck!!!

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like the skips are running good during the evening hours. congrats and good luck.

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I am down to my last 3 or 4 bags myself. Hopefully the skips will show at Guntersville or Nickajack. Wheeler is a long way for me at $4 a gallon for gas. I will go week after next though if I have to.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Hey guys I live in Texas and I use shad all the time.I have heard about great success stories using skipjacks.I was wondering if some one would be willing to send me a small frozen bag down this way so I could try them out in Texas.I would pay you for your trouble and shipping cost.It may not do any good down here but I have to try it.

11. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    you are in luck give me a hollar

12. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Does this rig work in the tail race water or do you have to back off to calmer waters?

13. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    It works in calm or fast water for me. Adjust the sinker weight for different conditions. Also, instead of a sinker at the end, try trolling with a minnow plug.

14. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What is the best size of skips to catch. I wish the i had known that the trophy cats like the skips that has been frozen. bout a month ago i was catching all the skips you could want at the pumphouse when the pumps were on. now that i know i can freeze them were can i get them from now. I fish the pumphouse alot and hobbs island alot.

15. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I understand your pain it is hard for me just to hook up to my boat and take it. i do alot of bank fishing now. thanks to the gas.

16. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Any size will do...just cut them up any way you want them...as far as catching any right now your best bet would be below wheeler or wilson dams...:wink:

17. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    ohhh that will be kind of hard im closer to guntersville dam and gas is to high for me right now to head that way. but thank you for the info J