Skipjack help

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by M4A1, Jun 21, 2007.

1. M4A1

M4A1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So I've been reading around about how to fish for skipjack, and I decided to use the 3 jig setup with about a foot between each. I went out to the boat ramp at sunset, and I couldn't even get one to bite. My friend used to fish for jacks there all the time, but he used to use flies. I haven't used flies yet since everyone here has been successful with jigs it seems. Anybody got any ideas? I'm going catfishin tonight so I kinda need some bait. THanks

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have best luck finding them where there's swift water; below dams/powerhouses, ends of dikes, etc.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Skipjacks are like anyother fish....You gotta go where the fish are at....Sometimes it's good, sometimes it ain't...Listen to jtrew, he knows what he's talking about.....And don't be discouraged, the knowledge will come in time.....I don't know anything about catching them either, but I'm going to one of these days....Dwight

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Some times, some places, it's very hard to locate the skippies. Here in Little Rock, unless the water is being released just right at the dam/powerhouse, I can't seem to catch a skipjack for love or money. That's why I make at least one trip a year over to Pickwick and stock up on them. I don't like frozen as well as fresh, but frozen is way ahead of no skipjack at all.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    That's the way I see it to jtrew....Hopefully, I'm going to get to Pickwick this next week and do some skipjack fishing...I hope their biteing....I just came through Little Rock twice this week on my way to and from Oklahoma....See ya around, Dwight

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you've got time when you're coming through, give me a call and we'll get together for coffee, food, or whatever. I'm in the phone book.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    jtrew,

You gotta deal, bro.....I don't know when it will be, but if you'll PM me your phone # I'll key it in my cell phone.....Dwight

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Dwight, sent you a PM with my home & cell numbers.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Ok, I've gotem keyed into my cell.....I'll give you a call later on today so's I don't interrupt your schedule, or you can call me at my home # anytime from right now till whenever....Somebody will be here to let you know where I'm at.....Dwight

10. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    hey buddy, the jiggs are good. but the money is in the piscator rigs....I know they work for a fact...catching 5 at a time on them...look for the high current, and boils and watch for the places where the shad are jumping around like crazy. rest assured that the skipjack are feeding there. You might be able to find a more robust rig that may be better for the larger ones. but trial and error is the key. Just keep trying different things till something works for you. trial and error is the best approach. Nothing will teach you better that just going out there and trying till you find what works where you are at.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When the skippies are running small, catching 5 at a time is great. But when they're averaging 2# apiece, like they usually do in the spring at Pickwick, two at a time is about all you want to handle; and two 2# skipjack on at once will break 10# line very frequently. Now, I'm not sure what size they'll be running in the fall, so I'll just wait and see.

12. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    jtrew,

What's going on dude.....I was wondering how you tied your rig and what type of rig you use to catch em....I was thinking of spooling my spinning reel with 17# clear Silver Thread and using something like a one oz to 3/4 oz "no-snag" sinker...I think the no-snag would make the rig "plane" though the water better....But I'm not sure whether that's the best way.....What oz/type sinker do you use and where do you tie it on at....Dwight

13. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    sabiki rigs are the best man

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Another thing you might try is use a striper float tied about 20 inches from your lure. The float is weighted and has a concaved top and will make the water disturbed and sound like fish trashing and get the skips attention. Just reel like crazy, just like you would with just the jig. Also with the weighted float you can get a good long cast out there.