skipjack help

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by bigmaac73, Sep 14, 2009.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I was just wondering if any of you northern kentucky boys woiuld be free some time this week to meet me somewhere and show me how to catch skipjack. I have never fished for skipjack before and dont even know where to start/try.

2. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    are you in northern Kentucky.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i hadn't fished for them before the other day, and it was really easy. get a sabuki rig and throw it as far out as you can then reel it fast as you can back, very the speed sometimes and you will catch them. id say look on any river that runs into the ohio and start by the locks and dams close to you....just my input and what i gathered with the guys the other night. good luck...

4. catfishingricky

catfishingricky Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use tube jigs 1''.5 tie three on the line about 10'' apart fish dams, power plant discharges anywere there is running water it will be hard to catch them untill it starts getting cold again you should catch mooneye look for a place were current meets still water a try fish 1 - 2 feet deep use float and fish with waxworm or cricket good luck:cool2:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    There is a warm water discharge at Aberdene Ohio that you should be able to catch some at about any time of year.Hope this helps.1/8oz. curlytail jigs in chartruse, white and yellow works well for catching them also.

6. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Hey thanks alot everyone. Yes I am in Northern Kentucky. Actually Florence. I just got back about two weeks ago. I am going to have to check out the aberdine dam.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
  8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i cant get any on the curly tail jigs ... but i have been getting them on lil popeye jigs and sabiki rigs... and they havent been anywhere near a dam so far.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dont forget you have just a short shot down 71 to markland dam. most of the time you can catch skippies off the bank on the indiana side. and i said most of the time. its been lowsy lately but they are moving back in slowly. and u can use your ky license on the indiana bank. so go there and throw that rig. u can get right up on the wall from the bank...hope it helps

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    did you ever get out and try for the skips? if so how did you do??