Skipjack for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 8898dan, May 2, 2006.

1. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey brothers in catfishing,
    I have a question about Flathead bait. Ive heard all my life that big flats only like live bait. However the last 3 weekends, me and my buddies have been running trotlines on a small river here in arkansas with nothing but cut skipjack herring and we have caught several Flatheads over 10# with one going about 16#. We also had many limblines out with small perch on them but the biggest flatheads we caught on them was about 5#. I was wondering if anyone else has caught flats on skipjack, and also do yall think a real big flathead would ever bite skipjack? I still plan on using small perch when I go rod and reel fishing exclusively for big flats, but these trotline catches have got me thinking about trying skippies too.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've cought more Flatheads on cut shad than anything else.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive caught flatheads on cut skipjacks, cut shad, cut mackeral, and cut bluegills. Also have caught more on live bluegills and creek chubs.

4. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    I agree 100%. It is the time of year that flats will eat just about anything.
    they are also moving around alot more this tiime of year.

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Cut skipjack works very good for Flats, heads especially!! I caught 20 & 30 lbers on cut skip last year. Slimcat and I were out at the end of Sept. last year and he caught a 52 lber on a big skip head.

6. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey guys
    thanks for the replies. Ill definitely keep on using that skipjack. I just started using it this year, but it seems to be the best all around bait ive ever used. Plus its free bait and fun to catch them.