Skipjack for bait

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by drcwaynem, Jun 15, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do you all catch your skipjack for bait? Do you use R/R or Cast net? Also, where do you go to get them (specifically near the Alton Dam)? sorry for the double post if it show up twice

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok, i'm going to show my ignorance. I keep seeing the term R/R...
    What does that mean?

Eric

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Duh, Rod & Reel! Right? LOL

4. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had the same question earlier; but, yes you are right. Rod and Reel. I was hoping some of my fine southern Illinois catfishermen would want to help a novice out on how best to get skipjack for bait...but if the central illinois buds are able to help or ANYONE else that would be reat :big_smile:

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Wayne, I use rod and reel exclusive, I started using crappie jigs as bait but went to a sabiki rig. The crappie jigs that I used were pink head and white curly tail. The sabiki were the pink head and white feathers, well it resembles feathers. Below dams in the swift water is where the skips will be. If the dam has a hydro-elec. plant then the skips should be there.

If you would like to know how I rig post here and I will try to explain it to you.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Top, I just ordered some sabiki rigs. Im going to try to start catching some skips to go with my shad. Do the skips actually bite this rig or are you snagging with it? Do you fish it fast or slow? Thanks for any info. 777

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Johnny, They will bite the rig and you will snag some. You will also snag alot of shad with the rig. I keep both. The ones that I ordered came in 59 inches of length, with 6 hooks on it. I cut mine down to 3 hooks each, which gave me two rigs from one. The reason that I cut mine down is 59 inches is just to long to cast properly, to hard to work with. The rig will not come with a weight on it, I use a middle size rattle trap as weight. this serves three purposes 1 adds the weight 2 adds another hook 3 the rattling attracts the fish. I have caught a bunch skips from the rattle trap alone.

I would like to invite you to fish with me at the hot water out let this winter, I catch most of my skips there and freeze them for summer use. I do not know how far a drive it will be for you to come here,London Arkansas. 8 miles west of Russellville. I have caught enough in a two day trip to fish all summer with them.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks Top, I sent you a PM. Im pretty computer iliterate and just now figured out what pm stood for when I seen it on this site.:embarassed: :big_smile:

9. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    you can also use a curly tail jig for weight on the sabiki rig. sometimes the hybrid whites hit the jig and they can be fun to catch for a while. the skipjacks think the feathers on the sabiki are baby shad and that's their favorite chow. as far as fast/slow gotta try varying retrieve until you find what they want. generally speaking the skipjacks are way too fast to be caught with a thow net.

10. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I just talked to a bait shop up at alton and they said that the skips have stoped running. I didn't think that skipjacks did that...maybe if I'm lucky I can net a few shad before I launch the boat.

Thanks again!!!

Wayne

11. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    where are the skipp bitting at.

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Bringing back a month old post. But the skips are biting good down at the Chain of rocks fishing spot, over by Granite City. We spents a couple hours out there talking to alot of locals and fished a bit as well. Me and two friends are going back out this Saturday for some night fishing. To catch the skips I just use my light tackle (crappie pole, ultra-lite reel) and tie on 5 small fly fishing jigs (they look like small fly's), place a small spit shot on the bottom of the line. Cast out your line and reel it back in, I was pulling in skips every cast, sometimes 2-3 at a time.