Skipjack fishing in Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by mississippi man, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I fish in alton around the dam and I've usually been good with shad, cut and whole. I read some posts and some folks were talking about fishing for skipjack. How do you fish for these I have only caught them in my castnet. I hear the blues love these things.

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i use a ultra light spinning reel and rod with 8 lb test and tie 3 1/32 crappie jigs with white grubs and cast out as far as u can and let the line out till u feel the jigs hit bottom the jerk the rod hard and reel fast then stop it and do the hard jerk and reel until u get to shore then doit again
    i hope this helps

3. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    thanks for the information. how far apart do you space the jigs about 6 inches?

4. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    i fish for them at chain of rocks using ultralite tackle with a sabaki rig which has 6 tiny jigs on it and cast out in the current as far as i can and reel in at a normal speed, the only reason i dont let mine go to the bottom and retrieve slow is because of all the other fisherman and snags, bound to get one or the other,,,, tim

5. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks Tim, Do you usually fish from the sand or the rocks for skipjack at the dam? I was also told Mallory Sporting Goods in Wood River is a place you can buy them.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mississippi Man, I think you used to be able to buy them there but Im pretty sure you cant. The guy that ran the bait shop "Dan" doesnt work for them anymore so Im sure they dont carry as much including skippies or herring. Bluff City down towards the dam MIGHT carry them at certain times, Im almost positive they keep herring in at times so you may want to stop and see about the skippies there!

7. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I use 3 white jigs tied about 10" apart. I trough them out & reel them in. I fish around the rocks, in swift water. You can also catch mooneye at the dam on a float and crickets, also around the rocks and out to about 15yrds. You will have to adjust the depth to find them.

8. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks Jim and Rob, Jim I think I met you the other day I was talking to you below the dam when I was loading my boat. Thanks for telling me about this site I love it. Rob I have met you several times I have a 16ft jon. I see you all the time at Alton I love your rig. I dont really know how to tell you who I am, next time I see you, I'll tell you in person who I am. I was at the weigh in. Where did you place, or did they give you a ranking? Bass Pro Tourney coming to columbia MO are you gonna fish? Not sure but I think the guy at bluff city might be keeping the herring for himself LOL. Thanks for all the tips. If either of you are trying for shad by the powerplant be careful I shredded 2 nets on something sharp towards the end of the plant by the bank I was tied to the metal wall throwing in the current.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you want to load up on shad put in above the dam or Piasa creek and run to the powerplant on the west side of the river between alton and grafton. You will see the two stacks. Idle up in there a little or just throw at the mouth of that little cove. You will fill your net everytime and not hardly be able to lift it. That is where we had been gettin them a couple weeks ago at least. Net after net full, and BIG shad too! Troy, yea Im not sure if I remember you I talk to so many people down there. Im sure I will run into you this summer although I wont be able to come back home near as much as last year since I will be stayin out here for the summer to work. Havent quite decided on the Tourney here in Columbia yet. I kinda of got mad at Ken Freeman for taking some of our fish to Lake Springfield. I think we ended up 21st out of 66 boats. Not near as good as we wanted, we just couldnt get on anything big. Oh well there are always more. You know about the MWHI/Bluff City tourneys dont you? If not I can get you more info about it. My buddy Justin (eflow) is running it so if your interested I can get you the dates!

10. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks for the post, I have always seen alot of shad over there, but for some reason I have never tried it. Next time out I will. I'll be out and about today I'll go to bluff city for all the details.

11. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    anyone doing any good on the skips yet? Just wondering if they are starting to pick up yet.
    Bondman

12. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    call me crazy, but i have never heard of skipjack :what-big: can ya buy it at a bait shop? lol

13. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    just posted a thread under shad talk in the fishing america about skippies think you all will find it interesting great for newbies like myself thanks for all the replies

14. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont really mean to catch them but sometimes i do when im striper fishing by dams. I ususally use a jig head with a white or chartruse mister twisty. By the dams and especially by rocks is where they seem to be. I dont target the skip jack so i'm not much help, but i thought i would through in what i know.

15. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Went to the chain of rocks today after Drill. Saw some nice skipjacks being caught in throw nets some very nice ones I tried for some with my rod and reel nothing at all for me. also saw some real nice spoonbills being pulled out of the river today also. I might have to stop back down there tomorrow after i get done with drill.. Good luck to all you out fishing tonight....
    Bondman

16. ultima_cat_man

State:
    granite city, ill
    been going to chain of rocks last couple of days tryin for skips with no luck, went to alton dam today and caught about 30 in a hour and a half, one looked about 3 pounds. saw a few big blue cats caught 30 to 40 range i managed to get a 5lb blue on shad head, but it was the skips i was after.

17. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Ultima. Thanks for the report.

Henry we need to make a run to alton. Give me a call. Maybe we could meet up with scott and ultima.

18. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Bearcat yes it sounds as if we need together and catch some soon.. let me know what date you are thinking of. Ultima thanks for the info on the skipjacks.
    Bondman

19. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    hey ultima,

what r u catching them skips on.

20. ultima_cat_man

State:
    granite city, ill
    i was using a sabiki rig #10 and they kept bending the hooks straight they were so big, so i switched to a single green jig and caught one about every other cast. i was standing on the rocks down by the boat ramp and casting as far out as i could into the current.