Skipjack feeding on baby Shad

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Skipjack, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I just wanted to post some good info. about catching Skipjack for all of the Catfish brothers around northern Ky. and southern Ind. and where ever it may apply. There are a lot of baby shad schooling around the mouth of creeks and pipes and anywhere fresh water is comming into the river, right now. Skipjack are feeding on them, mostly in the early evening, into nightfall. Just watch for the silver flashes around the balls of bait, and on top of the water, and throw your cast net into the schools. The Skipjack are busy feeding, so they are easier to catch. They are small right now, 4"-6", but they are growing fast. There are a lot of other fish feeding on the baby Shad also. So far we have caught , Gar, Stripers, and channel cats, both in the nets and on rod and reel. This is a fun way to catch fresh bait for fishing at night. So get on out there and get you some! Dave

2. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Well, the skippies are still very active by the banks of the Ohio. Vern and I got out on the river after he put a water pump on my engine. We fished around Wesport, Ky. We caught a lot of skippies on a Sabiki rig, then set up on a ledge and caught nine catfish, the biggest was 13lb. 8 blue cats and 1 channel that wieghed about 7lb. We had a great time after the sun went down and the water pump worked great. Thanks Brother!

3. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im in northern ky by cincinnati and i just tie on 4 flies and catch 2 or 3 every cast. up here at sunset and sunrise they light up the bank. cant really use a castnet because of all the rocks, just tears it up. most skipjacks up here are about 2 inches but can catch then 8 to 12 inches with a nightcrawler. by the way do u know why there are no bluegill around here in the river have not seen one this year been getting them out of lakes. if u know another way to get alot skipjacks without a castnet let me know cause i hate makeing flies and refuse to buy them.

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just sealed up ( food saver) 230 skips all were 5 and 6 inches long. for winter will be here soon and bait fish will be gone so I'm stocking up the freezer. I'm looking at going back monday for some more befor their gone.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David good information. Thanks for sharing.