Skipjack capitol of the world

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by wolfman, Jan 11, 2010.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I see a lot of threads and more and more members going to Cumberland City, Tn. to get skipjacks. Some travel a good ways just to get bait. Unofficially I think Cumberland City should be skipjack capitol of the world as far as catfishing bait is concerned. Just curious who travels the furthest to get there?

2. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    7 hrs from my house and was a successful trip

3. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    After watching the Bristol Bay Brawl I'd vote Alaska.As for somewhere a little closer I vote CC.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i havent been, but from what i hear that is the place to be....

5. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    It is 5 hours from my house that is why I have not been there. I would buy some from my local baitshop instead of driving that far. This spring I'm going to see how many I can catch I might be able to catch enough here.

6. festus

festus New Member

At one time Kingston Steam Plant was as good a place in the state to catch skipjack. However, TVA failed to upgrade some of their dikes and other facilities. Results = multimillion gallon toxic fly ash spill=plant shutting down. So us folks better take advantage of these steam plants before TVA closes them. I'm not sure that's going to happen, but there have been several rumors to this effect. BTW, Bull Run Steam Plant is back online. Whenever I get some information on the skipjack situation over there, I'll let you know. It may save some gasoline!

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    4.5 to 5 hrs for me.... A couple of the guys up here are headed that way this weekend... I know its a drive but it sure beats cabin fever any day

8. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I saw that episode too. My mouth was watering....

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It takes me about an hour to drive to CC steamplant. I'll be heading out early tomorrow morning to try and fill a couple coolers full. Usually we can catch all the bait we need without having to drive to CC, but this year the skips are very slow right now. I'm down to 4 in the freezer and that just wont do!

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If it was only 5 hours from my house I would be going 2-3 times a year....

11. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    shoot yall are lucky in order for me to even go to a river with skipjack i gotta drive approx 4-5 hours and thats not even for good skip fishin to fish cc or pickwick i gotta drive roughly 8-10 hours

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I arose early sunday morning and decided while it was pouring down rain outside that I would make the ultimate sacrifice and take a trip to Cumberland city steamplant to try and replenish our ever shrinking bait supply. After a 45 mile trip in the pre-dawn hours in a steady rain....I arrived to find the shad and skipjacks in there thick.

After 2 hours...my bucket was overflowing with 6" shad and monster skipjacks. They weren't hitting the small sabiki rigs, but the small curly tails in white and green was tearing them up with a very slow retrieve.
    I slipped once on the far side in the mud and took a dive to the ground which left a perfect impression of my face in the mud. Not a happy camper! Now my back is hurting worse! But hey I never spilled any of my bait or drop a rod......After that Bull Sh!t I decided to get on back to my little part of the world. Now we have plenty of Bait.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    We'll be making a 12 hr trip to CC very soon, do it every year.

14. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I live a much dreaded 15 miles, actually I see it out of my window right now. Sorry guys... It is a great place and believe it or not it was 50 times better 5 years ago. A few years ago they replaced some of the turbines, and it hasn't been the same since. But that's a different story.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I hear there is a certain time in the year to hit Alton dam in Illinois . Once I here they are being caught this year I am hoping to cruise up there and catch a load to freeze up for bait . That is as far as I am prepared to go . I will use gills and shad as usual if I cannot get the skippi's

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was just wondering, the more this is advertised, and the more people who go there, will you see a big decline in the skipjack population in the years to come?

TnRivershark likes this.
  17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Talked to a Local guy there last week, saids he's fished there for years and years and the skipjack population seems to be better and better every year. Im with ya though, I was wondering the same thing!! Thats why I asked!!

18. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You have to think the Cumberland City Steam Plant is the only warm water discharge in a 50 plus mile stretch of water. The dam of Kentucky Lake all the way down the Cheatham Dam, I am sure there are plenty of skipjack to support our fishing needs. Get what you can now though, once the water warms up you won't see them anymore out there.

As for this year it hasn't been better or worse than years past, it's like it always is, just seems this year it's just got more attention from the normal people that fish there. When I started fishing out there in Jan 03 it was only the rockfishermen that were at it really hard out there. Of all the species of fish we catch out there my favorite is the huge rockfish that will swallow one of the 2 lb skipjack and try to take all you line with it. That's what got me out there fishing hard, and then I got into catching big flatheads on the river.

19. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Catfish like bologna (shad) sandwichs too.