Skipjack Baits

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by tswebb71, Nov 3, 2008.

1. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I usually use sabikis to catch my skipjack (along with white curly tails). All of the skipjack that I have been using seem to have shad in their bellies when I cut them up (a few have actually had small asian carp :smile2:). Anyway, has anyone ever tried to use small shad (artificial) to catch them. I thought I might give it try. Perhaps tie 3-4 on the main line and see what they will do. To me, it just makes more sense to use their food source to catch em :cool2:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I haven't heard of using baby shad to catch skippies, but several people have posted about using minnows. Seems needlessly expensive to me, but that's just my opinion. Using shad would eliminate the expense, but I'd have to go to the trouble of catching baby shad and trying to keep them alive. Much easier to keep my crappie jigs in a plastic box.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sabiki rig and Crappie Jigs are my bait of choice for skips. I experiment with the crappie jigs, I will cast a white on white curly tail, at times a pink on white, a chartreuse on white, and a chartreuse on chartreuse. I have caught skips on all of those combinations.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Small spoons, and jigs such as the Cream Silverside Minnow also work well for skips.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's certainly nothing wrong with using sabiki rigs, small spoons, or even small lures for skipjack; they'll all catch them. But I find sabiki rigs too much of a hassle to handle and store, compared to crappie jigs; and spoons or lures are just too expensive, compared to crappie jigs. Also, I like the fact that with crappie jigs I can quickly and easily change weights and colors.

6. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I want to make a trip for skips. I am willing to drive 5 hours for a good load. Any suggestions on where to go would be great. I was thinking of Christmas weekend.

7. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    I was using a small mouth bass lure with double treble hooks to catch the larger skipjacks.. i caught 4 nice big ones.. i noticed that they like to smack the lure right when your pulling it out of the water then run away and repeat every time i cast out.. i then left it in the water a few more seconds before lifting it out once i reeled it all the way back to me and then they started gettin it.

As for a good place to catch them. Down in Kentucky near land between the lakes. The cumberland river and kentucky / barkley lakes . i Caught mine at kentucky lake at pacer point boat ramp they have deepwater dock there.. oh but you live in missouri

8. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you Percy.
    We are heading down south somewhere on Dec. the 27th. We dont mind the drive as long as its worth it.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Try using a small treble hook that has been skirted, like the kind on a popper lure for bass, I skirt my own and they work great with fast small jerking retrievel. Works better than any crappie or jig lure, which I still use.

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Here is something for yas to think about. Last year at Meldahl dam I through a sibikki rig for a few hours and caught just a handful of good skips and was actually leaving when two boys showed up with minnows. Holly cow, they started smokin the skipps. I was throwin practically in the same exact spot as them and they were just killin them. I went to the nearest bait shop (30 minute drive) and got 6 dozen minnows. I ran out in about 2 hours. Most of the time the sibikki rigs work great but that just goes to show they do favor certain baits at certain times thats for sure. There just like any other fish. Sometimes they can get finiky!

11. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Went down to kentucky lake dad caught 1 skipjack on a minnow.. usually the dock is filled with fish but today it had barely any. so i decided to throw the cast net in all over and didnt catch a thing.. so that means no fish around there. Went down to the marina and saw a school of fish right behind the boat dock and got tons of small and medium skipjkack 2 big ones and 2 small bluegill just in one cast :D