skipjack at cumberland city

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by gatortail, Jan 4, 2008.

1. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    there is a truck load of skipjack at the cumberland steamplant and plenty of needle fish too:wink:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how do you catch the needlefish? how big do they get?

3. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Got several last monday on reg. jigs. Dif colors of course. I also got them on sabiki rig.

And from the ones i got they were around 12 in. or so. Heard they are good bait. I plan on keeping the next ones i get for bait.

4. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    to catch a needle fish is the same way as skipjack but them suckers will bite u thanks fellas

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What is a needle fish?:confused2:

6. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
  7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    we ended up catching a few needle fish yesterday.. pretty cool.. anyone go catch skips today?

8. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    There was a JW, Skipeye, ryan, and cuz there when I arived. They were tearing the skips up. I only got one needle :confused2: though.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don, welcome to the board. Was nice meeting and spending a little time fishing with you.

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I caught one too. They remind me of a gar only alot smaller. I am glad to hear skipeye was catching bait today.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Went saturday morning and stocked up on some skipjack. Stayed less than 2 hours and caught 35 even threw some back. Saw some striper caught also.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Gatortail, welcome to the BOC. Was good to meet you Saturday. If Shilohred/Pete sees this he should know you work with Marilyn. That way he knows we now have an inside info source as to his antics. LOL I know we'll see you again on the river one day and if you stick with us here, we'll fish together sooner or later.

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    anyone fishing at cumberland city today???

14. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    I took my kids fishing at Cumberland City on the 12th and 13th and we couldn't hardly catch any fish due to having to move so much. There were whole trees floating down the river every few minutes and we couldn't stay over a good cat hole long without having to pull anchor and dodge em.
    I'm just thankful that I didn't hit any trees in the early morning fog bank.
    Give it a few more days without rain and the river should get better.
    The fish were there........we just couldn't keep the bait down there long enough for them to bite. We just teased em so they would be ready for the next angler that comes along.

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I was there on Saturday with my grandson and Kittycatcher. Same results. We just couldn't keep our lines out of the floating trash. When we could keep it down long enough, we got some good hits. Grandson caught a decent Channel cat in about 53 foot of water too. That made the whole trip. Couldn't even catch skips Saturday. I guess all the rain and muddy water had it's effects.

16. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    went to cumberland steam plant at 7 am til 830 am caught 50 skipjack about 15 of them were the big skipjack. it was cold and rod eyes kept icing up.

17. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats what I needed to here I need to head out that way now.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well I see I am in trouble again..
    Also Gatortail do not judge the whole BOC on the few you met. There the outcast of the bunch. And that Whistler is the number one joker.
    Think the needle fish would make good fish bait? May be worth trying.
    Pete
    PS Bryan ready to buy the boat Bam was trying to sell you Friday?

19. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    I threw 3 needles back yesterday. Has anyone been able to try them as bait yet?

20. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Any skipjack still running at the steamplant? I am considering taking
    a trip down there in a week or two and give it a try. It will be my first
    time down there, and first time fishing for skips, so any advice you fellas could give an ole Missouri boy would be much appreciated.