Skipjack at Alton Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Rockin' Blues, May 8, 2007.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    We're going to try to get some skips this afternoon at Alton,has anyone been getting any yet?

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I been fishing there the last three weekends and haven't caught any...nor have I seen anyone catching any...I tried on Sunday to catch a few but didn't have any luck... I've been catching alot of gold eyes up there though, along with plenty of shad and asain carp, just haven't seen the skips yet..

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

do you catch them with your throw net or do you use crappie jigs? I went there about a week ago and got a lot of shad in my net
    but no skips

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Willie you will have more luck useing white crappie jigs for skipjack. It's almost impossible to catch them in a net. Twister tails 2" or smaller is good.

5. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    When you use that white jig, do you find them off the bottom, suspended, top? How close will they be to the dam? Thanks.
    CP

6. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    mooneyes or gold eyes what ever you wanna call them , the skips should be near them, within the next few weeks. usually when the minnows are there they are there...

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    When the skips are actively feeding you will find them in the top five feet of the water column. You will see them hitting the top of the water. The faster and more erratic you can make your retrieve the better your results will be. I cast out, and immediately start reeling the second it hits the water. They will belt it in no time flat when they are feeding. Watch for the Gulls too. They are a pretty good indicator the skips are feeding on the minnows at the dams.

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tie three crappie jigs on about a foot apart usually works best. It will be tough going all around with the MO cresting sunday.

9. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    went yesterday from 4-6 no luck the gates were all the way open.:angry:

10. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What boat were you in? I may of seen you?:0a22:

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was there yesterday also...I had the SeaArk "River Cat"

12. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    River Cat,

If that is what you have on the side of your boat, you pulled right up beside us twice. The second time you fished for a few minutes before pulling up and leaving. We were at the end of the lock anchored.
    Did you do any good? We never caught but three all day. The trash in the water was terrible. We were using 24 OZ of lead to hold it down and it took less than 5 minutes to wad up with leaves.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh wow, Yeah I had 13oz on and it wasn't on the bottom so I just decided to call it a day...I hadn't caught anything all day except a bunch of skeeter bites! (forgot the bug spray!) Did you catch the three right there? Were you fishing with shad, asian or both? You fellas were anchored there for quit a while...

Did you notice how much trouble I was having pulling up the anchor? It was stuck then I finally broke it loose. After I broke it loose, it was SOOOOO heavy pulling up...finally when it reached the surface of the water, I had a suprise attached!! The anchor got caught on a LARGE STEEL PIPE!! This pipe was approximately 6-7' feet long and was 4 inches in diameter!!!! Not to mention full of mud!!!! All I can say is that should have been an event at a strongman competition because it felt like I was pulling a truck from the depths of hell!!:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad I train for strongman, I believe I would have lost an anchor that night!

14. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Well I talked to both of you when you came in. I was at the point by the ramp. No luck either!

15. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    oldrum,catmankev and me were just thowing in from the bank,I did see a boat with a top fishing fishing by the lock.

16. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The 20 aluminum boat with a bimini top that was anchored by the lock was us.
    Mississippi Man, that was my partner. I was backing the boat. As you could probably tell, I couldn't see the ramp or the trailer. I had to get out 3 or 4 times to see where the ram and trailer were.
    River Rat I noticed you pulling up your anchor but didn't notice you having any problems. I did notice you were a good size Ol'Boy. If you had problems,,,,, then most folk would of been there for a while. :0a1:
    We tried all kinds of bait. What ended up working was skipjack but it was slow, real slow.
    ronesche, was you there when we put in? I noticed two people hung on something as we were putting in the boat.
    Small world it is?
    :0a23: