Skipjack around Fort Campbell KY

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Jan 2, 2008.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I need the help of the Brotherhood! I have just relocated to Fort Campbell KY and I need to know where is the best place to catch some skips??? OR BETTER YET TO BUY SOME! PLEASE let me know ASAP because I would like to get some winter fishing in prior to upcoming trip to the desert!

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    All you need to do is go over to the cumberland city steam plant and fish the hot water ditch. They are available for the catching there. No need to buy any. Hope this helps. By the way , there are a bunch of BOC brothers in your area. Look them up.

3. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Ranger, I fish up at lake Barkley around Cadiz KY. there are skipjack around everywhere find the closest steamplant I live in Nashville TN. so I go to the Gallatin steamplant. there are alot of skipjack around they should be pretty easy to find. Cheatham dam is a good place to catch them. Its near Ashland City TN. about 30 minutes from you.

4. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    With the help of my Ranger buddy Stevens, Jazper, and the rest of the BOC I was able to catch enough skips tonight (cumberland power plant) to get me through with no problems. I am not sure of the numbers but I would guess in the neighborhood of 45-50 in about 1.5 hours. It was not very crowded, only about 15 people down there and most of them were fishing off of the damn. It was quite amazing really. This was actually the first time I had ever fished for skips and it was a very good experience. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT AND PROVIDED WITH ME THE TIPS/INFO!! RLTW

5. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Did you get any of those Atlantic needle fish? the gar looking things??? Was told they are good bait.

I think I am going to go on sunday down there.

Glad to hear you got you some. That should last you alittle while.

6. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yeah I caught 1 of the gars, but he was more tangled than caught and was nice enough to free himself once he got on shore.

7. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    So, you didn't get to keep him for bait. Next ones i catch im going to give it a shot. Cut the head off and throw the rest in a bucket.

Here is a thread about them that has some useful info, a few ppls said they are nice bait and freeze good. so... http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67350

8. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    way to go ranger this is number ten. see ya soon ,talk to you tomorrow