Skipjack are heavy at Greenup Locks & dam!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishjohn, Aug 15, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I know a guy that that showed me a 5 gallon bucket of skipjack the other day.
    He said they are very thick at Greenup Locks & dam on the Ohio side.
    He gave me a few but i've already used them.
    If anybody plans to go catch some,let me know and we'll meet up. I need to stock up on some as well.
    The more info I get I'll pass it along.

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    The "skippys" have been thick at most of the dams for quite a while now. With them being so easy to catch, there's really not much of a reason to stock up. I tried to freeze some, but I found that the fish really prefer the fresh caught over the thawed out bait. Also, once frozen then thawed, they turn soft and are easily pulled off the hook.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

This is the first they've been like that down there in a while. Every time I've been down there they haven't been around. All the bait shops around and a lot of other catmen have been having trouble getting them there if any at all.
    There are a few guys in Henderson(you probably know who) that burn them up with frozen skippies. I know i'm not gonna take a chance of not having any later on,i'm gonna stock up! :smile2:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I stock up on them for times when there is no bait to be had. So there is a need to stock up, LOL!!! I like to vacuum seal them to keep them fresh. I don't use the frozen ones till I can't catch fresh ones anymore.

5. shovelheadfanatic1

shovelheadfanatic1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i will go catch some skippy's with you i need to stock up on some:big_smile: if you want to meet email me at pimpmyride2011@aim.com i no i made up this email long time ago we will plan a day to go hope you email me

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I sent you a PM. Check your inbox.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those that don't stock up on bait when it is available, are the ones that are always asking where they can get bait when they can't find them. It might sound mean but, everyone should stock up for hard times in my oppinion and frozen is better than no bait at all!!!

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Wow,what wisdom Young Grasshopper! LMAO!!! :smile2:
    I agree 100% with your post JW!
    Thats why I posted it,for those that need or want to stock up. I know around here they are pretty much gone! This is the first time in a LONG time they've been running at the GL&D.
    If you have plenty or don't need them....Just skip over this thread.
    I just wanna help the Bro's and Sis's that need or want them to get some skippies!!! A lot of people wouldn't say a word and stock up and not share.
    Hope this helps some at least!!! :cool2::big_smile:

9. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i go out every sunset and stock up. hopeing to have enough to get me trew the winter cause getting baitfish in the winter is just to much work. that and the fact ive never seen so many skipjacks

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Where in KY do you live?

11. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Are they still running there? If so...can ya fish from the ohio bank and get em? Thanks....Randy

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Skipjack are so hard to get in my area that almost all the catfish I catch are caught on frozen skippies.

13. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    The Skipjack on the TN river in the Chattanooga are are so thick you can almost walk across the rive on them....seriously tho I am with JW.....stock up on em while ya can. We have two freezers full and plan on getting as many as we can before the leave for the winter. ON the Tennesse river we have had as good a luck on frozen skips as we have had with fresh ones. If you freeze them while they are fresh they will not get too soft to fish with. I hate being without bait.

14. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What's the best way to catch Skipjacks?
    Do they school up like Shad for castnetting or should I use my
    ultralight and some kind of lure?

15. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    You know where there are some at Jerry?

If you could find them thick enough i suppose you could throw net them but you'll take a risk of them ripping your net up...there crazy when caught in one. We use Sabiki rigs or grubs with a fairly stout spinning outfit. They fight like tarpon when hooked. If you know where to get some...i'll show ya how!

My nephew went to greenup today and there's nothin happenin there now!

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure if their still running or not. I haven't heard any reports and haven't been there in a bit. There is a good place to fish on the OH side there. Only bad thing is it usually has quite a few people there.
    Best of luck to you! :big_smile:

17. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just don't know anything about them. I'm going to the Racine pool in a couple weeks and thought I'd try for some. I didn't know they were so tough to find.:eek:oooh:

18. shovelheadslayer

shovelheadslayer New Member

State:
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Where is a good place to catch some skip jack. I have never used them and I want to try some out. Do you cast net for them?

19. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    They are really thick right now below the locks and dams on the Ohio river and the lower end of the Muskingum river. We've been getting them on Sabiki rigs, sometimes catching up to six each cast! All you need is a spinning outfit (I use a 7' rod and 12 lb test line) and a Sabiki rig. Make casts into the turbulent water below the dams, hold you rod tip high, and reel the rig fast enough to keep the baits just below the waters surface. They seem to hit best during the middle of the day in clear water. I catch them and throw them directly in a cooler with ice packs. I keep them in the cooler and place the entire cooler with the ice packs in a fridge in the garage. If they don't get used up, they'll keep fresh for about week.

20. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im on the ohio river in ky right across from cincinnati the whole bank lights up like a sparkler at sunset and at sunrise they come up for about 45 min. then they are gone cant get them. but u can fill a half a bucket by yourself in about 30 min.they are not big 2 to 6 inches the kid catches them up to 12 inches with night crawlers on a float.