Skipjack and Gizzard shad

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Lawdawg, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where and how can you catch Gizzard and Skipjack during the winter months? I know they don't just disappear into thin air, they have to be somewhere. What areas? I don't feel confident without atleast one of the two in the bait tank, but during the winter months I am forced to fish with cut hybrid, stryper and sometimes brim. By the way I like brim, just live for flats. I fish the tennessee river system between Alabama and Knoxville.

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Do you hav e any generating plants with warm water discharge, if so fish for skipjack and shad their and also at dams. Here in tn I like to go to tva in cumberland city for skipjack, right now I have a small freezer full of skipjack.

3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think there is a plant at Kingsport on the clinch or holston that discharges warm water. Just fish for them like you would in the warm months? You said something about dams. I fish tail races for the most part. Can I get them at dams in thew winter?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mike when they are generating you can get the up next to the dam . If you fish the nick or the chick around chattanooga the shad and skips run in there pretty regular but not on any given schedual.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If the water is up and it is cold out they will be in their. Just use crappie jigs, the white ones seem to work best.

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys, that info will help me so much I can't express enuff gratitude. I know it's probably simple info to you but up till now I had absolutely no idea of where to even start to find skips in cold weather.

7. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You have to love ole skippy. best for me is a crappie jig and a couple of them on my line. As far as shad goes i just throw my net and hope they all land in my net.

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll be honest I usually don't cat during deer, duck and coon season but this year I am ready to go NOW! And was under the impression that skips and gizzards were ghosts in the winter months and am just worried about getting my bait when I get there. I can't go untill March 1st because of my work and training schedule but I'llbe there then, and still kinda worried about how I'm gonna get skippie in the boat.

9. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    what kind of fish is skipjack i am not postive i know what skip jack is

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Skip jack is a shad. They are also know a the tennessee tarpon. They look alot like a salt water tarpon only small. They jump like a tarpon and are an oily and bloody fish, the best cut bait (in my opinion) and a great live bait, but are extremely hard to keep alive. only way I know to fish them live is to put them directly on a hook after catching them. But it works!!!

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I catch all of my skips and shad in the winter time. Just follow everyone else's instructions. Find the warm running water and there will be the bait! For skips try to find a sabaki rig or simply use some lead head jigs with white or green rattle tails.

12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What if you are at a dam that has no warm water discharge? Are you just out of luck? Or say you are fishing down river from a dam.

13. Lookin for skipper

Lookin for skipper New Member

State:
    ohio
    one way to keep em alive and shad is salt in a 55 gallon drum use bout half a bottle of salt works great don't know why the square tubs they beat there noses in untill they die thats why they usually die.

14. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    It sounds to me that you have never kept a skipjack alive. This is one of the hardest baits to keep aliv. You need cold water, like 50 degree and pretty much a pure oxygen aeration system

15. RonH

RonH New Member

State:
    tn
    That sir was pretty rude and depends entirely on how long one is wanting to keep them alive. I have personally kept them alive in a 20 gallon bass boat live well with no salt or chemicals whatsoever for over 30 minutes by simply changing the water twice and running a 360 gph pump. I have done this many times to get them from below a dam to a striper hole. Now call ME a liar.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We been catching Skipjacks all winter long at Lake Barkley. No warm water discharge...no tailwaters below the Dam...just in the lake. We fish a shallow Flat that comes up from the river channel. When the sun comes out , it warms the flats up just enough to bring the Skipjacks and shad up on the flat. You can keep skipjacks alive for a while by putting them on a nylon leader line with a barrel swivel and by hooking them in the upper lip and hanging them over the side of your boat and as long as there is a good current you can keep them alive for a while as you fish. We always catch fresh bait at every fishing trip. Anywhere you can find such a location...you should be able to find the skipjacks there. Just cast out and let it sink, and retrieve it slowly. They are more sluggish in the cold water and bite more slowly.

:confused2:

17. Team Hold EM Hook

State:
    al
    Sorry to offend you man
    But to me keeping bait alive is not 10,not 30, or even an hour its all day or several weeks. Sorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:wink:

18. RonH

RonH New Member

State:
    tn
    No problem man, apology accepted. Just didn't like the fact that you just joined the board and in your second post you were basically calling someone who was simply trying to help other fishermen a liar. We are all on here to either learn more or help people learn more and that is how it should be.
    As far as the jacks go, the best method I know of for keeping them several hours without spending a small fortune on plumbing and oxygen infusors, chemicals, etc. and having a large volume of water on board (too much extra weight for most catters) involves tubes and a constant supply of cool fresh water as you stated. You need one 360 pump for 4 tubes which can be made from anything you can come up with from pvc to 2 liter bottles mounted upside down. 1 jack per tube. I have seen them stay frisky for up to 4 hours this way. They have to be vertical though.
    I don't use them though as I have not found a need for keeping them that long. Catfish eat them dead and cut up, and stripers will be fairly close to where you catch them at (less than 20 minute ride where I fish), so I only need to keep them that long and then you can hang them off the side of the boat as someone else mentoined earlier.
    If anyone would like more info on the tubes let me know and I can explain in greater detail. It's the same concept as Tuna tubes they use in saltwater.

19. Team Hold EM Hook

State:
    al