skip shad mix

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 3, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i came up with an idea, try taking a peice of shad and a skip and put them together, why, blues prefer shad a liitle more but there not as tuff to keep on, skips are awsom bait, and alot harder to come off, but not qwite as good, solution, mix two on one hook

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    who told you skips werent as good???? :crazy: there are times that a blue will take bluegill over shad or skips.... there are times they wont touch anything.... i run 2 hooks on each rod with different bait most of the time and catch fish on both...

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats what the poll said, so i figerd use th em together, woundet hurt

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    slikk, the poll your referring to.. i believe that more people, including myself, voted for shad over skips because the abundance of shad in their areas..

here in central indiana, i can go within 15 minutes from home, throw my cast net for half an hour, and come home with 200 shad.. as far as skipjacks, the closest area is about 2 hours away, and no guarantee that youll find them.

Remember, this is just my opinion, but shad are closer for me, thus i have used them alot more than i have skips. honestly, ive never even fished for skipjacks, or caught one to use.. and im too cheap to buy them (but i have a FEW times). why spend alot buying them when i can catch hundreds of other good baits so quickly?

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i still say why not, mix two on one

6. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    try it out, let us know how it works for ya bud!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally like to use shad, skips, gills, crawlers, and leaches on the same hook.:wink:

I believe Skips would be the number one bait for blues.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you already know the answer, why ask???

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here in Western Kentucky....skipjacks are the number 1 cutbait for Big Blues. I do use skipjacks, bluegills, shad, and live baits....but I never have seen the need to mix baits....on the same hook. Not saying it wont work...but I'll let someone else do the feild work.:wink:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    not realy a qwestion, i thoght id throw it on a thread and see what people thought, i know its a good idea, i just figerd id post it to get people to try