Skip JACKS

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by MikeonWabash, Jul 11, 2008.

1. MikeonWabash

MikeonWabash New Member

State:
    Grayville, Illinois
    HEY, IS ANYONE OUT THERE CATCHING ANY SKIP JACKS? I've TRIED SEVERAL TIMES, IN THE PAST 2 WEEKS, BELOW NEWBURGH AND J.T.MAYER WITH LITTLE RESULTS.

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    have not heard of any one catching any but was wonting to know that myself

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Is that typically good skipjack water?

4. MikeonWabash

MikeonWabash New Member

State:
    Grayville, Illinois
    YES, WE USUALLY CATCH ALOT OF SKIP JACKS THERE EARLY IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER.

5. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    On friday I was fishing at the Cannelton boat ramp, and a guy in a boat gave me 2 skipjacks. He said they're pretty hard to come by right now. Ive caught a few there by the boat ramp in the past few weeks. I see about 30 a day jumping, but theyre hard for me to catch. I put a floater/bobber on my line and put a hook about 8-10 inches below it. I use regular redworms for bait. Then I throw wayyyy out and reel in slowly. Ive caught more that way than any other way. I dont have a castnet though, so that might work better.

6. whiskerfisher

whiskerfisher New Member

State:
    IN
    I am catching all kind of shad but no skipjacks as of yet. I haven't even seen many jumping this year. I fish above the dam at Newburg.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I'm catching quite a few right now at Rising Sun. The smaller the bait, the better. They are chasing alot of small minnows and they aren't even looking at bigger flies on sabiki rigs. I have been catching them on small sabiki rigs, I even cut them down with nail clippers to make them almost nothing. alot of them are 5-8 inches with a few every night being the big 2 pounders

8. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have been bass fishing for awhile but am kind of new to the flathead. I love it and do not mean to seem stupied but what are skip jacks and what do they look.

9. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    Never mind I found out what skipp jacks are. They are a fresh water tuna and look like a shinner. I have caught few of them a couple of nights ago just south of raymond about a dozen or so.