Skip Jacks

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Nov 22, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I know from reading different posts how to catch 'em, but to be honest, I do not know what a skip jack looks like. For those that use them, help! How do you catch them and what do they look like.
    Happy Thanksgiving All

Linda

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.

3. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I honestly think they are the easiest fish to catch. A couple of jigs, throw your line out real it up. Oh and did I say its alot of fun when you get two or three on your ultralight pole :smile2:

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Linda, if there is a hot water discharge at the power plant in your area, that might be a great place to catch Skippies. You'll need a light Bass rod and reel, and like Griz said, a Sabiki rig or small jigs tied in line about 12" apart. They bite better at dawn and dusk, but sometimes you can catch them all day long. I like to use a heavy Sabiki rig with 1/4 oz jig head with a 2" white curly tail grub on the end for Hybrids and big Skippies. Oh yea, take a bag of ice to put them on because they are very hard to keep alive. Hope this helps a little. Dave

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    linda you have lg@e right down from you theres a hot water discharge there i caught over a 100 on weds. i like to catch several 100 and freeze the for future trips you can also catch shad there also youll see it theyll be a little steam coming from it just throw your rig in and hold on if they are there youll have alot of fun catchin em you can almost always catch some kind of bait in there good luck steve

6. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    paul the one i took u to is on the ind. side the one i told linda about is down river up from salt river on the ky side ill show u that one some day it looks a little differant than the one u seen

7. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Patrick, thanks for the picture. They are bigger than I had imagined. steve, thanks for the info on where to go. Want to try something other than shad. Planning on going out Saturday. :0a23:

8. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Linda if you do not have the time for catching Skips like myself you can purchase whole frozen ones at Catfish Jeffs in Okolona off Blue Lick road if you are in the Louisville area.:wink:

9. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Where is Catfish Jeff's located on Blue Lick??

10. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Silver Heights Shopping Center

11. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went by there couple of weeks ago and he has closed down. where has he moved to.

12. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Behind the Belle of Louisville worked good for me last week got about 70 of em.Not counting the few I gave away and helped someone else stock up.Were tearing up the shad.

13. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    hot watter discharge, thats whats the skips are eating

14. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Would you have any luck with a cast net here? just wondering!!!

15. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    just jump in with them and swim around and catch them like the skips are