Skip jacks

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by mlohre, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    Anybody catching any skip jacks? If so what are you using and where.
    I have been down to Markland dam several time and nothing using my castnet.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    You will be hard pressed to get them with a cast net. It's possible but a much better way is with rod and reel. Use a white curly tail grub on a leadhead jig. Tie up a rig with two or three of them and cast into the fast water below the hydro discharge. Don't try going with light line, it's not uncommon to get two or three on at the same time and they fight hard. Keep your rod tip down, and dont give them any slack line. That will help prevent them from throwing the hook when they leap. Good luck...W

3. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    You can find skip jack at a dischage water. You can catch them with 2or3 jigs on your line or you can use sibiki rigs. You can find them at basspro or catfish connection.

4. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i took a look at them on basspro and was wondering what size hook and color. should i just get a veriety of them

5. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i was wondering if it would be worth a trip to the power plant discharge in luranceberg In, just up the river from tanners creek.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    A trip anywhere to get skips is always a crap shoot. One day they are there, the next vanished. In fact that can happen in the same day. I guess it depends on how far you have to travel. The water discharges (there are 2) are easily accessible by boat but I think the power company owns the land around them. Maybe someone here can tell you if there is any shore access...W

7. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i have a boat but the truck breaks went out and is getting fixed

8. Bengalfan79

Bengalfan79 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, KY(CincyArea)
    I havent ever caught a skip jack but since I am having trouble getting to shad everytime I figured I would try it so I have been asking around. A guy I work with told me to tie 6 really shiny silver hooks with no bait onto a line with not bait and they will bite the bare hook. I have also been reading up on flyfishing for them. I guess it seems pretty popular but I just started flyfishing this year Im noy getting my hopes up. Im not sure what kind of flies they are using. Good luck.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mike, I've caught a few skips by accident over the years with the throw net but as a general rule they are to fast for the net.I've just started catching skip jacks on R & R and I have had alot of tips and this is what has been working for me. I ordered through catfish connection some sabiki rigs. The ones I ordered have the bleeding bait hook in a size #6. They come pre-rigged with 6 hooks you will want to split these in two sets of 3 hooks they resemble baby shad that the skips feed on. Use a small swivel on one end and tie to your main line then as a trailer I've been using white twirl tail jigs in a 1/16 oz. for weight to throw it out and have been catching a few sandbass on the jig. Fish this in the swift waters below the generators. I was told that the 33 R & R combo would not be big enough for this but that is what I've been using and its alot of fun just remember to not give them any slack because they jump like a bass and will spit it out. Also with this rig every skip jack I've caught has been hooked in the lower jaw. Hope this helps.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i've caught a ton of skip jacks over the years. they are a blast to catch and one of the best baits you can use for cats. this time of year is a very difficult time to catch them, especially from shore. you'll need a place where there is some current for sure. the only time i have managed to get any from the bank in the last few weeks is right at daylight and even then they only hit for about 45 minutes. they will hit just about anything you throw at them if they are there. like metalman said, white curly tail grubs work great. i have been using the 1 to 1 1/2 size on a very small jighead( about 1/64). you dont really need to use a jighead . the weight of the jighead actually makes it easier for the skips to throw your bait when they jump. just tie several small hooks on your line and space them bout 8 inches or so. leave enough room at the end of the line to tie a sinker. the sinker at the bottom of your rig will help you not get as many line tangles. i generally use about a 3/4 ounce. at the top of the line tie a small swivel. this will keep you from getting line twists. when you cast the rig, right before it hits the water, pull back on it a little. this allows your line to tighten on impact and decreases your chances of your line wadding up. now for the retrieve, as a rule most of the time, you just cant reel fast enough for skipjacks! especially if they are chasing shad. you'll now they are if you see the water popping all around. you want to imitate a fleeing shad so reel fast. this doesnt work all the time but this is how i do it most of the time. you'll just have to experiment a little. anyway, i hope this helps. good luck!

11. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    Thank You all for the inforamtion. I have just ordered the rigs from BassPro and will try every suggestion you all gave me. I really wont to try these skips for bait and see for myself, that, they are as good as people say they are. "Ready to go BIG CAT hunting"