Skip Jacks as catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Fetmo, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Fetmo

Fetmo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    never used them where can u get um, in central Arkansas and how do you fish um?? live? cut?

Fetmo:0a23:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Skipjack don't live long when caught. We use them as cut bait. I like to use the heads also. I'm not familar with the Ark. areas.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Getting skipjack here in Arkansas can be tough; I try to make a trip over to Pickwick on the Tennessee River every year to stock up. In winter, you can sometimes get skipjack at the nuclear plant warm water outlet. In the Little Rock area, you can sometimes get them below Murray L&D when the water's just right; you need about 30,000fps release with the water on the main river side flowing through the notch in the dike at a pretty good clip. When the water flow is little or nothing, the skips generally aren't there; when there's too much water, the dike's flooded.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not fish with anything except skips and shad both are very hard to keep alive, usually just fish them as cut bait, I may tip the cut shad with a live bass minnow if I have the minnows.

5. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    If the skips are small enough I'll hook them through the lips and be gentle when I cast. They die really easily. If they are big I'll fillet them and cut each fillet in half for big cats. I'll cube them if I'm fishing in a smaller body of water for smaller eating size fish. It all depends really. Skips are my favorite bait though. I'll pick them over about anything when I can get them.