skip jack

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catfishbill33, Jun 20, 2008.

1. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    My wife and me have moved here from Cincinnati and we were at the Cumberland City steam plant looking for skipjack....Nothing ....shad was so small they went through the dip basket.Where does the skips go this time of year
    thanks

2. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not sure about that area, I fish the Tennessee river below pickwick dam, the skipjack are in the current from the generators. I use either white grubs or a small white spoon. good luck

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    William, there was a report last week that they were at Cheatham Dam below the dam next to the lock entry wall.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    William, I am from chillicothe ohio myself. The skips are typically at the steam plant. I have caught a very good amount there. What were you fishing with. I have the most success using a series of lead head jigs and white or green curly tail grubs. I hook three of them up about 6 inches apart. with a small weight at the very end of my line. The weight helps because you have to get out to the center of the channel. Throw it out, let it sink for about 1 or 2 seconds and then reel her in nice and steady. I sometimes catch 3 at a time this way. Also, don't get to close to the water discharge, just on the otherside of the steps works nicely.

5. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Men I did exactly as all you said but they wasn't there.I used white curley tails and other rigs that useally work but no skipjack.I sure thank all you for your come back and info. All of you are special here at the BOC

THANKS

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't been able to get any lately either. They have shut down old hickory dam so it will probably be a stagnent pool all summer again. I can't find any shad either. I'd say if you are in a boat hit up a dam like cheatam or old hick and go to the current about dusk along one of the walls and thats going to be your best bet. As far as shad go I would look else where in the river or lake. I am going to try the lake this weekend for some shad. Hope you can get some bait.

7. cptowe

cptowe New Member

State:
    TN
    I was below Old Hickory dam Saturday to catch skipjack for lake fishing Saturday night. It took awile but I caught enough. Sunday I went below the dam for whatever would bite there were plenty of shad in the current but needed a fast sinking net or a better operator. I caught enough to fish for awile and catch some small stripers and white bass.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I take it you were in a boat. It takes me about 30 min to get to the other side and put the boat in and about 5 mins to get down to the hendersonville side without the boat. So I rarely put my boat in the river. Where were the skips, I am guessing around the spillway. I tried for shad a couple of weeks ago but I think I had the same problem the guy running the boat wasn't helping but I didn't get one. I ended up at a creek catching chubs and shiners yesterday.

9. cptowe

cptowe New Member

State:
    TN
    I caught the skips Saturday morning on the Hendersonville side from the bank close to the fishing platform. It took about thirty minutes to catch them but what I caught was huge. I got seven to the bank and that was more than enough for Saturday night. Sunday I took the boat around and launched in the river because I saw several boats catching stripers in the spillway current. I fished with live shad. I caught skipjack in the spillway current but they were way too big for the small stripers that were in there.