skip jack

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by jug, Nov 18, 2007.

1. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im new to this site and trying to figure out my way around. have a question about skip jack. i go to pickwick to catch them in the spring. but what about this time of the year. i fish around new johnsonville. heard about people catching them in the steam plant. any info on time of year and bait would be appreciated.

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Craig,
    we were at the steam plant in cumberland city last week [monday and tuesday]and I caught about 16 and I vacuum packed and then froze them and they are in the freezer there in clarksville.The skips are running there or they were .I had to come home because of sickness in the church.But this is a good time to catch them.
    mr smith

3. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    what kind of lure did you use

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    A Sabiki rig is the best to use IMO. Do a search here on Sabiki rigs and you'll learn a ton about them.
    Good to have you aboard also!!! :big_smile:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Some people prefer a sabiki rig, while others prefer to use 2 or 3 crappie jigs tied in tandem. Both will work just fine. Try both and see which you like best.

6. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    what about the time of year to catch them in boils like at a steam plant. and about what water temperture do the head for warm water.

7. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    craig,
    I personally like the sabiki rig.But the crappie jig [white curley tail] 1/8oz is a killer also.I also use 10lb test line with 3 jigs about 12 inches apart.that has worked for me almost ever time.as far as the best time of year this is one of the best time.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used to use 10# mono for skipjack here in Arkansas, but when I started catching those monsters at Pickwick, I switched to 20# superbraid with a mono leader. I had too many breakoffs when 2 skippies, weighing 2 1/2# each got on my line at the same time, which was very often. The break generally came when I was trying to get them into the boat.

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went to New Johnsonville today. The water temp in the river was 57. I caught 223 skipjack from 10am to 3pm. The skips were not as big as those at pickwick usually are but were fine. I did get 4 that were a couple pounds plus. The rest were about a pound. I caught all on my favorite. White maribou crappie jigs. I started with 4 jigs tied about 8" apart with 1/4oz wieght above the bottom jig. Had to cut off one of the jigs because 4 skips are kinda rough at once. Started out catching quads and triples, at about 2pm they were down to 1. Then went to nothing. The fish were biting about 60 ft out from the bank in the boils.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where is new johnsonville, I have heard of it and did you have to bring a boat I would love to take my wife somewhere here soon where they are slammin, she would get a kick outa it, I used to take her to old hickory dam but for close to 9 months now they haven't been biting with the water being down.

11. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    New Johnsonville is about 5 miles east of Camden. From the Nashville area take I40 west to 641. Not sure of the exit but there are signs saying North 40 Truck Stop and Camden. Take 641 north to hyw 70 take a right on 70. Go east on 70 about 5 miles. You'll cross the river and there will be a ramp immediatley to the right. You'll see the steam plant. Be carefull to stay near the channel before you get to the plant it is shallow toward the bank. Not far at all from the ramp to the plant, so not so bad in the cold weather. I dont think you can get there without a boat.

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks, man you guys caught that many from the shore thats nuts.

13. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was by myself and was in a boat.

14. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i appreciate all the tips. im going to try it as soon as i can if the wheather lets me. we,ve had more wind this year than i can remember before. but in the steam plant the wind won,t be as bad. oh by the way does anybody know when other fish start bitting in the steam plants. thanks again.

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My wife has been sick and I havent fished sence June. She is getting stronger now and told me that I should go to Pickwick sometime this week.As soon as it stops raining Im going fishin!!smokey

16. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont know about the other fish but did notice a few nice ones on the sonar at the mouth of the plant. I took my little boat, no net, and 1 spinng reel/rod so didn't do any other kind of fishing. Good luck to you.

17. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc
    try a flutter spoon bojole.pet spoonor other if they are feeding they will take it.i have had sj hit them so hard they break the hooks