Skip Jack

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by jtrew, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    In Arkansas & Tennessee we find them where there's a swift current; below powerhouses, off the ends of rock dikes, etc. Favorite lures are either a couple of crappie jigs rigged in tandem or a sabiki rig.

2. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I caught some this weekend by accident. I saw what appeared to be stripe or hybrids attacking baitfish near the bank, so I rigged up a white plastic jig and threw it near them and it turned out to be skipjack. While cutting them up for catfish bait i found one of them had eaten 6 large minnows. Needless to say he wont be eating anymore minnows.

This is the first time I have ever caught them like that. I have caught hundreds of them below a dam with the turbines on. I rig up 3 or 4 of the old style colored crappie jigs and attach a half ounce weight to the bottom and cast into the swift water. They cant resist. Good luck

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    as far as iv seen the skip jack arent in the ohio river up this way yet below markland dam

4. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sabiki rig or 4 to 5 "popeyes" (crappie jigs) tied to a line right before dawn or right before dusk. Good luck and let me know when they start hittin'. Water may still be a little cold, but the powerplant may keep the water warm enough.:cool2:

Rob