Skip-Jack!!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 10, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe someone can answer my question. I know skippies are in the Ohio and other rivers. The Muskingum River has a good supply of shad. I was sitting here thinking back on the older days, and I can remember schools of shad or I thought was shad running together, often breaking the surface, pretty much jumping. It has been years back, and I have not seen anything like that since. Would this possibly be skipjack? Guess I have never put much thought into it until now. I have not seen shad act this way on the river, and likesaid.. it was years back.. Opinions? thanks...rollo

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Is possible, they do break the surface and jump, but I really don't know if they used to run up the Muskingum or not. They are pretty hard to find everywhere to me now, could be I'm just a poor fisherman.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Everytime I see jumping in the GMR it's always shad. People claim they run up to the first Hamilton dam, but I've never heard from a reliable source that they're actually there ...

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It has probably been 12 or more years ago. I remember sitting there before dark to see schools of these just break the surface in sequence. Pretty neat at the time, they were good sized also. I haven't seen anything since that I can remember. I didn't think they were in the Muskingum, but made me wonder if at one time some were.. thanks...rollo

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    it may have been skips, but I do know that in the Marinas and the smaller creeks and rivers when we are looking for shad we often will see them flipping slightly out of the water or jumping up ahead and know where to target them. Its hard to say which it might have been.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hard to say, large shad will do the same thing.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They could be large shad, I just can't remember seeing these do this in along time. This was on the north part of the river, just was wondering. thanks bros.. rollo

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    James, I have caught many of them, all small at the B street dam in the summer, mostly on small twster tails, I know if was summer when I was getting them, dont know if it was a seasonal thing or not.

Salmonid

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Tell ya a crazy story and Travis can vouche for this one. Im pretty sure it was him with my uncle that day and the next day i went with randy and got to see it. We ran up in the Aberdeen hot water discharge in the winter and we were running on plain bach the creek. The big big big shad were actually trying to follow the boat and they were jumping several feet out of the water like a skipjack!! Thats what I would have thought they were until we slowed down a bit and saw them jumping in the turbulant water from the prop. Ive only seen them do this that one time. It was neat though. I mean hundreds of huge shad not just a few. They were like lil dolphins!! They werent trying to get away from the boat either, they were following it!

10. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now if instead of following the boat, the shad and skipjack would just jump in the boat like those dang Asian carp our lives would be much easier :smile2::wink:

11. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Haha I have seen those things. They are ridiculous.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    hard to tell jason. might be all kinds of things in that river you don' know about yet. i would say there is a good chance they are in there,but you would of thought all the people catfishing there would have got a few by now catching shad.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats what I remember, they looked like schools of little dolphins! :smile2: Seriously, it was weird. Likesaid, I have never seen anything since then like it.. rollo

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    About 25 years ago I spent my weekends in the Beverly pool. I had a 9 foot jon with a 5 1/2 Evinrude that I loved. I remember one time, before I ever knew what a shad was, I was runnin up river when I saw these fish jam packed together nosed up to a pipe comin into the river (Pretty sure it was runoff) I caught a bunch of em in my net.... never heard of a castnet back then. Every time I am on the river up in Coshocton, I look at every discharge but haven't seen them north of Ellis. I am sure they are there, just not sure if or where they school. Sure would be nice having a dependable source other than Dillon. Wills Creek dam has em but not reliable enough for me.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    catmanblue and i was on lake logan one nite and the shad was doing the same thing but they were small about 4-5 '' but they were everywhere and this was at night

16. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Come to think of it this happened to me in early summer at East Fork Lake. One night shad started flipping everywhere around the boat.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are shad or skippies known to run in sequence. These schools seemed uniformed, and broke water accordingly... rollo

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You need to come to Dillon and drift a night. Unlike Salt Fork where they are mainly scattered but all over (in my experience), Dillon has very defined schools in the impound. In fact I love to watch right after the spawn when there are millions of baby shad winding through the water like a snake. These schools go for as far as I can see running full out, I am guessing 1 1/2 miles long. I have thrown into them and they go right through my castnet. If I were a bass, Crappie, or Catfish though just float through em with my mouth open and it would be like Shad caviar!

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have fished Dillon many nights over the years, What I saw on the Muskingum that night, wasn't what I have seen anywhere . Maybe it was a freak incident, but a unique one at that... rollo

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  20. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    There's no reason that skippies would not be through out the Muskingum. We catch them at Devols dam, and just like other fish, they get through the locks easily. If you watch, you'll see that schools of feeding skipjack will make laps below the dams. You'll see them chasing minnows and jumping out of the water, sometimes clearing the surface by a couple feet. You'll catch a few at that time, then not get a hit until they come back through. I've never seen shad clear the water like a skipjack does when feeding. The shad usually just dimple the surface, unless something is chasing it, then it skips across the surface as it swims for its life!