Skip Jack

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tcba1987, Oct 16, 2009.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    had a guy give me a bag with 6 frozen skip jack in it from the ohio river, i had never tried it before, they were big ones about 10-12 inches long and i wasnt sure how to use them so i filleted them down the side and used the fillets cut into strips on a 6/0 circle hook. i made a big mistake and gave 4 of them to a couple of my friends to try and kept 2 for myself. i had non stop hits on them on the Tusc River the other night and landed 2 nice channel cats a 6 lbs 7 oz and a 7 lbs 7 oz. then i ran out of skip jack..........started using cut shad and cut chubs and even some cut gill and had no more hits !!! i am convinced that the Skip Jack is a awesome bait now...........i just wish i lived closer to the ohio river and knew how to catch them ??? the worst part was my friends didnt even try them and threw them away at the end of the night !!!

HELP ???

2. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Geez Brian, a shame that those guys threw out the skipjack. I have not used em b4. sounds like they are the ticket to catchin cats...tight lines :cool2:

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i had never even seen one until johnny (poisonpits) had some when he came down to attempt to run over my gear and drown the state of Texas..one day though...ill catch me a gar on one:wink:

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Any info on where specifically he was catching them? :smile2::wink:

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Every once in a while they seem to prefer shad but skips almost always outperform shad for me. I have heard that skips freeze really well to and work good all year frozen. I mostly have used fresh. Funny thing is my biggest fish came from shad on days I had skips.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    skipps are not a complicated fish to catch, there is a whole section dedicated to the skipjack and herring. www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=409 there is a lot of information in this link about the skipjack. however here is the basic info i have about them.

1. they live in fast current, and concentrate around locks and dams

2. cast nets are not a sure fire way to catch them, they are so fast they can run out from underneath it before you can close it around them.

3. use a sabaki rig, it is the most effective way i have found to catch them on R&R. you can replace some of the jigs for small curly tail grubs if you like sometimes they hit them sometimes they'll only hit the jig. (when in ohio a max of 3 hooks per rig)

4. concentrate your efforts around dusk and dawn although you can catch them all day long.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Skips are awesome to have, I just never have time to get them. That being said every fish we have ever boated over 40lbs has come on shad, but I have seen first hand that sometimes, for some reason, skips out perform shad, have also seen it the other way around. Fish are too dang picky...:eek:oooh:

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Same experience I have had. LOL I will tell you though that channels can not get enough of skipjacks. Those dudes will tear em up. Kind of a pain lol.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If i go out fishing any time of the year and if i was only allowed to take one bait with me, it would be skipjack. even when the fish are wanting shad it seems i still get some hits on skip. when the fish only want skips it seems like the shad sits there all day. i think skipjack are an awesome bait! the only one i might use over a skip would be a mooneye. but thats it. i think mooneye is the closest to being an equal to a skip. and skips do freeze better than moonies

10. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    of us from Indiana getting to go down to Kentucky and Barkley dams for a weekend here soon if any of you want to go. There will be a guy from harrison going down if any of you want to go. Right now we have the possability of taking 3 big vehicles down. So come visit the local indiana talk if any of you want to go. Right now I believe that we are up to 8 people so we are starting to fill the 3rd one. I have a vaccum packer so all you would need to bring is cooler and some vaccum pack bags.

11. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a bummer yoru buds tossed them...:angry:

Shad has been working on 416 too TCBA. I've been catching channels on shad anywhere from New Phila to 416 by Gnaden. Of course logic tells ya anything will work better than another at any given time.

I'd suggest getting with the guy that gave the skipjack and gettin some more, or better yet, heading to the Ohio River to catch some yourself!