Skip Jack

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Northstar, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Anybody ever tryed Skip Jack up here? I have never used them nor do I know what they look like. It seems they it is the prefered bait in the south.

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I think they are not very common in Michigan because they are not native. Where would you get them from? According to this website:
    http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Freshwaterfish_SkipjackHerring.htm
    the natural range is "Primarily known from the Mississippi River drainages and other rivers entering the northern Gulf of Mexico." There is a picture at that website too. I think they may be good bait, they may work here, but I like to use bait that I can get locally, from the waters I fish. For example, in Sessions Lake I think the large channels are primarily feeding on bluegill, so while fishing for larger catfish I use cut or live bluegill. But they aren't very hearty, they seem to die fast on the hook, and aren't very oily, so the bait has to be changed often. There are also golden shiners and suckers in the lake, they might work as well, but I rarely catch any to try it, and don't like baitshop prices for large minnows. My uncle has tried creek chubs in Sessions Lake as bait, both live and cut, but never with any success, they aren't natural to the lake or what the fish are currently feeding on.

3. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    i use skips in kentucky and ohio but they are abundant in the ohio river so the fish are used to feeding on them but i use shrimp for channels and goldfish for flats on ocasion so who knows...ive caught lil flats on hotdogs so the skips may be great for michigan cattin...keep on castin folks

4. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    DBL, I took a look at thet wed site. They look like alwife. But sound more like a gizzard shad. I have used alwife and gizzard shad in the past and they both work. Shad and alwife are oily. I think the shad work better than alwife. Both can be found in any river that dumps into the big lake. I have seen alwife at 6th street and at the dam on the K-zoo.