Skip Jack @ the dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by eagle22, Apr 4, 2007.

1. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can a man catch a lot of skip jack at kentucky dam now?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jason,
    It depends what you mean by "now".
    The challenge with skips is that they can be there one day and gone the next.
    I have driven down there from Indy on a report that they are in only to find that they had disappeared when I got there. Actually going is the only way to find out...W

3. bluekatcher

bluekatcher New Member

State:
    illinois
    I no all about that driving there and them not being there, we drove there from springfield Ill area to find that the temp dropped that day and didnt find any either. What we started doing is calling a local bait shop on the lake and asking if they have any and if they can get fresh. If they say they can get fresh then we take our luck and go, but we look at the weather report before we go now...

4. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER New Member

State:
    Mayfield,Kentucky
    Its kinda like they said. One minute theyre there and the next there gone but i personally think that barkley is the best place to catch skip jack. Ive done it by throw net and also by using rod and reel with a couple small jigs.

5. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Last sunday, I heard report that a few were occasionally being caught. I think it's getting about time for them. Not sure what this big cold front will do for it though.

Never caught one in a throw net. Always been with a rod and real with one of those herring jigs... the ones with 5 or 6 shinny little jigs on it.

6. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Blucatcher,

That is a nice fish you have in your picture. Where were you? At the dam? KY or Barkley?

7. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    i went to kentucky dam to try to snag into some spoonbill on wendsday and didnt have much luck, but while i was there i saw a guy catch a pretty good amount of skips. so we left and got some jigs and before long i had 30 or more.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Now that the water is warming up, you can catch skipjacks in the lake. Look for them chasing shad and minnows early morning and late afternoon.

9. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Been fishing the bay around the marina (Northwest corner of kentucky lake). You can catch as many skipjack as you can handle fishing with medium shinners. Been hitting it every other day for the last week. I've got enough skipjack to keep me going all summer :)

10. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER New Member

State:
    Mayfield,Kentucky
    I stopped by the dam yesterday afternoon and there were some people catching quite a few. Looked like they were using curly tail grubs, not sure on the color.