Skip jack short strikes

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Barry Nelson, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went out back today to get a couple Tennessee Tarpon (skipjack). Was really slow, they would follow it in and nip at it but not grab it. finally ties on an 1/8 oz rooster tail and tipped it with a mealie worm and worked it simular to a jerk bait. It worked, caught what I needed for bait.

Now if the weather holds we'll see what the cut bait will do.

:wink:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I always use a kind of twitching retrieve for skippies, mainly because I got in the habit of retrieving lures that way bass fishing, and it's hard to break old muscle habits. While short strikes aren't all that unusual, I don't seem to have so many that it's a real problem, maybe because I've got two jigs tied in tandem. ??

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I usually fish for them with a Carolina rig with a 20lb test leader with 2 jigs. One on the end and one in the middle of the leader. I just whip it out and jig it back. Works like a charm.

4. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    We went fishing for skips Sunday and did pretty good. My brother and I caught almost 200 in about 2 hours. We were having the same problem with the short strikes on the sabiki rigs at first, so I started letting the sabiki fall for about 5 to 7 seconds after it hit the water and then gave it a good twitch and we started wearin em out. Several times we caught 4 or 5 at a time. Try fishing it a little deeper and maybe it will hellp ya out a little. By the way, we had 1/4 ounce jigs tied to the end of the sabikis to help them fall a little faster.