skip jack report

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by russ, Nov 11, 2009.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    went to ky today and met up with ryan & cuz, they got there at day light and i rolled in about 2pm. the bite was real slow for most of the time but about a hour before dark they ran real hard.good size ones to. so if your planning a skip run and are going to barkley i would wait till late afternoon. ryan and john it was good seeing you, now what am i going to do with all that skipjack i never catch any fish......:wink:

2. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Don't feel bad Russ I have a freezer full and they wouldn't hardly touch it this year.

3. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I was at the dam Tuesday and found the bite rather slow till the sun started to set. Then it got pretty intense. I think I doubled my catch that last hour and finished with around 110.

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Good seeing you Capt. Russ, thanks for bringing my bag down there. We didn't even see them bust the surface all day and probably scratched out 80 all day and then ended up catching around 100 in the eavening. Man its fun when those things are one every cast.

5. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anything in particular you're using to catch them? I've got a Sabiki rig to use and thought I'd try jigs if that didn't work.

6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Big question: Where you in a boat, or on land to catch them at Barkley Dam?

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    We were fishing from the bank and the predominant bait of choice seemed to be feather an plastic jigs. The ones we used were predominately white, with chartreuse and pink colors. Crappie type jigs outproduced the sabikis. We tipped our jig strings with spoons. Most of our biggest jacks came on the spoons.

8. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Nanner,

Thanks for the heads up....I may give it a go next weekend or day before Thanksgiving and drive down there. Hopefully the weather stays nice.

The reason I ask, if I have to haul the boat down there, it'll cost me an arm and a leg. :eek:oooh:

Actually, I need to get a freezer before I make the trip, or I won't have a place to store em after I vacuum seal.

Oh, one more thing, which route is fastest, through IL and then south, or down 55 south to Sikeston and then east?

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Not real sure. If your in Illinois I would thing the best way would be 24 south all the way down. We live 30 miles south of St Louis and it takes us 245 to get there. We go to Cape Girardeau, an cut over through Cairo and wicklife Kentucky then jump on 24 if it helps.

10. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    we are around greenup locks and the skipjack have been few and far between. a few of my buddies have tried but came up with crap i gueess just different this year:embarassed:

11. F250CAT

F250CAT New Member

State:
    Millstadt, IL
    I was at KY Lake this past week also. Caught a lot of skipjack on the main lake along some other trash fish:big_smile:

The skipjack and whitebass were breaking water chasing shad at daybreak every morning. We even caught skipjack while chasing the birds during the day on the main lake.

Paul

Attached Files:

12. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depends on where you're at in St. Louis. Probably, your best bet would be to catch 64 over to 57 south and get on 24 east from there. We've driven all of it before and it will keep you away from the farm traffic this time of year. It's just a little farther that way, but you make it up time wise on the interstates.