Skip Jack in the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by wooleybugger, Aug 21, 2006.

1. wooleybugger

wooleybugger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have any of you all ever found skip jack in or around the MO river just curious always used gold fich or shad but have heard great stories about monsters on skip jack just wondering if they were even around Lexington Waverly area

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i catch them in the castnet once in a while and know people that catch bigger ones on rod and reel. they are not the most common in the lower or mid missourri,but more around gavins point dam and in the res.

3. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    I was talking to the guy that runs the fish farm where I get my bait, and he was telling me that he catches them in the Missouri. We fish around Dalton. He told me to go behind the wing dykes.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Skipjack are very hard to come by, at least for me they have been. I often catch small ones with the cast net (two to five inches or so) when I see them chasing small minnows up near the bank in the evenings. Once in awhile I get a bigger one up to eight or ten inches long when I am tossing the net for shad on the mud flats below the wing dikes. A few years ago there was a dead cow in a feeder creek about a mile off the Mo. and it was stuck there till it rotted away and we could catch skippers there pretty regular on minnows under a bobber. I think they were there chowing down on the minnows and what ever else the dead cow had attracted. Once the cow was gone , so were the skips.

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I catch goldeye on the missouri river, a buddy of mine was out getting some and he caught one skipjack while they were after goldeye. I think the skipjack are kind of hard to come by on the missouri river up north anyway! I have heard goldeye are just as good as skipjack...

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    What were you catching the gold eye on? Where do you fish for them? I would like to try 'em for bait sometime. Thanks for the info!

7. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have not had any luck catching any skipjack on the missouri between sibley and waverly

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I have cought goldeye on worms and shrimp on the missouri River between omaha,nebr. and blenco ia. not a bunch but they are there sparingly.

9. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Bill, We catch them along an outside bend in slack water. Use a worm or minnow under a bobber. A little tip......Find an outside bend with lots of pilings, they provide many current brakes. The little minnows in the river gather in the current brake and the goldeye move up to feed on them. Another tip...we park the boat along the rocks and walk up and down the bank because the goldeye will not stick around with too much noise. You will probably get frustrated trying to find them, but they are there! If the water is muddy don't waist your time. It took us a few trips out before we found them, but once you find them you will be hooked. They are fun to catch on an ultralite. Good luck, let me know how you do, or if you need anymore help! Also if you catch them, use them because they don't stay good very long. The meat will turn to mush.

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've been anchored along the bank on an outside bend fishing for cats, and noticed after I had been sitting there for a while that the baitfish moved into the current break that the boat had provided. You would see them flipping all over the surface. Not too long after that, the Goldeye would start jumping out of the water, chasing the smaller baitfish.

11. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    skipjack are like stripers in the fact that they chase shad to the surface and pick them off in groups. so when ever you see shad break the top chances are their is skipjack doing the chasing. skippys will jump out of the water so you can look for this to. mainly you will find skippy's in the large boiling vortex along the seam of wing dykes, and then further down the flats at the head of the wing dykes. also they will bust minnows off the rocks.

12. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    You can also score lots of skippies in the winter months. Usually colder than hades, but if you have a power plant near you then you can get plenty of them in January and febraury. The skippies hold in the warm water outflows from the plants themselves. So use a throw net where the warm water emptys into the missouri, and you will get skippies.

13. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Bunch of good info here.

Jack thats a cool observation re the dead carcase. I smell/see several deer and whatever a year aroud here and have to try that!
    Have found 2-dead bodies in the last 7 years where I fish-proximity to big town and bridges nearby.

14. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    James
    No thats not cool....two dead bodies! I don't want any part of that! i have fished the MO river for about 12 years now, I have seen dead dear and dead cows...but I recon if i found a dead body that would freak me out a bit!

15. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Matt,
    Re-read
    Cool is fact that he did well for skippies near dead deer because smaller fish were eating. That was a good bit of info he shared.

Why get freaked out over someone killing themself? Unfortunate for them they couldnt find anyother resolve, but...

16. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Yeah, I sure miss that ol cow! She stunk but she was a good ol gal.:lol:

17. catseeker

catseeker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've cauthe em with a cast net... but that was pretty close to the convergence of the Mo and Miss. rivers.