Skip Jack for Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by motodragon2003, Sep 4, 2006.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Where do the people not on the coast..........get skip jack for bait. It appears that skip jack cut bait as well as gut pockets are good bait for big cats on the river........I just have no idea where to get any......any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    We get them directly below the locks and dams, using small white jigs. Clear water on bright sunny days seems to be the best.

3. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    You can get skipjack at the locks at the dam or from a warmwater discarge. You can use crappie jigs or sabiki rigs.

4. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    I'm not sure what you guys mean. I'm in Indiana...........Have no friggen clue about skip jack.......Am I hopeless?

5. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    LOL no not hopeless. try going over to west side bait and tackle on vermont st. INDY They have froozen skip jack and might be able to tell you where to get live skip jack, if anyone will know they will.

6. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    I went to the Wabash river over the weekend and did well.....as good as I have all year anyway. I caught 2 channels and a flathead........was fun considering it happened all within like 20 mins of me pulling up to my first wood pile :)

7. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    I checked that bait shop and they said they haven't had it for a couple years....said they haven't had much shad either .....(sigh)

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Josh, I've caught a few skips by accident over the years with the throw net but as a general rule they are to fast for the net.I've just started catching skip jacks on R & R and I have had alot of tips and this is what has been working for me. I ordered through catfish connection some sabiki rigs. The ones I ordered have the bleeding bait hook in a size #6. They come pre-rigged with 6 hooks you will want to split these in two sets of 3 hooks they resemble baby shad that the skips feed on. Use a small swivel on one end and tie to your main line then as a trailer I've been using white twirl tail jigs in a 1/16 oz. for weight to throw it out and have been catching a few sandbass and a couple of skips on the jig. Fish this in the swift waters below the generators or dams. I was told that the 33 R & R combo would not be big enough for this but that is what I've been using and its alot of fun just remember to not give them any slack because they jump like a bass and will spit it out. Also with this rig every skip jack I've caught has been hooked in the lower jaw. Hope this helps.

9. Bengalfan79

Bengalfan79 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, KY(CincyArea)
    Master Warrior is right. Sibiki rigs are the way to go. Catfishconnection or bass pro sell these in many different hook sizes. You want to use a good line# because it is very possible that you will catch 5-6 skipjack in one cast and they can be decent sized, not to mention the fight. Good luck out there.