Skip Jack Fishing.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by TOPS, Sep 2, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    well Arkansas members, Since the skip jack thread was not added to Fishing America Form along with Gar fishing and Shad fishing. I have added to our form. Please post all Arkansas Skip Jack Information HERE.

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    oh my my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

3. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Play nice Coach :p :grin-big: :grin-big: :grin-big:

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    pictures !!!!!! we want pictures!!!! :D

5. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Pictures of Coach? I've already got some thank you :D

6. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Sorry, I've got some of Dennis and Verlon too!

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Here! I hope this will help!!

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    fine looking mess of bait top

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Here are some of the skips that we caught last winter. Hope this winter will be better than last winter.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    post deleted wrong place to post

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Last winter the skips were being caught on white curly tail grubs with pink heads. They were rigged two on the main line of the rod. I have seen as many as three on the main line. More than three, they seem to tangle easer.

12. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    One thing I learned last spring, you gotta use light line. Me and Veritok went to the nuke plant. We both had the same jigs tied on. He caught 13 skippers and I caught none until I figured out he had 6 lb test and I had 10 lb test on my spinning reel for some reason. Anyway I couldnt catch nothing until I put on smaller line.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Smelly, That info is good to know, when I first started to fish the outlet, I was told to put 10 pound test line on because the skips are huge and will break your line. I may rig one with smaller line this year. May, heck I will rig with smaller line. :confused:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think that the probablem may well have been that the heavier line made the jigs ride higher in the water, rather than the skippies being scared off by seeing the line. The first time we went to Pickwick, I made one cast with 6# line and had it snapped on the strike; I switched to 10# line, and when that was snapped the third time, I switched to 20# line. I couldn't tell any difference in the frequency of strikes, although I had to often change the weight of the jigs, or even add a sinker to reach where the skippies were in the water column. They'd be on the surface for a while, then move down, sometimes pretty deep.

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The skips should be coming into the outlet soon. I hope we all have a productive year. I ran out of bait last year. :crying:

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I will try some vanish line for the skips. skips feed by sight hope this line improves my catch. It was suggested to me that the Cajun red line is being scene. :confused:

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Top, my friend Bob uses Cajun Red for skippies. He does just fine when they're biting. I've been using powerpro on a Mitchell 300 lately and it seems to work. I think when they're feeding hard, it wouldn't matter if you had white 550 cord for line. LOL Two white curly tails about 12 inches apart always seems to work for us.

18. r_do

r_do New Member

State:
    Paragould
    I have fished for cats in Tenn, Ohio, Ky, Florida, Ala. and now here in Ar., I have never heard of fishing with skippies until I became a member of BOC. Is there any differance in skippies and shad? Thanks :confused:

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are lots of differences between skipjack and gizzard or threadfin shad. They are longer and slimmer in shape than shad, and much oilier. The gut on a half pound skippie is much larger and tougher than the gut on a half pound shad. Shad deteriorate so much when I freeze them that I don't even bother to try anymore; skipjack, on the other hand, freeze so well that we make an annual trip from Little Rock to Pickwick Dam to stock up. Skippies are caught on rod & reel, using a sabiki rig, or 2 or 3 crappie jigs tied in tandem; they run fast, fight hard, and jump like baby tarpon.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    r-do, The skips here seem to get much bigger than the shad. they are much oiler than the shad, they keep longer. Although shad can be good bait and I do at times, fish with shad, skips are better. just my thought. ;)