SKINNINGi

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catoon, Feb 13, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ok i got feild dressing covered now how about skinng?

2. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    use a sharp knife and go slow. start at the hind legs and work your way down...after you get both hindquarters going and past the tail you should be able to pull the hide down the back somewhat. then work the front quarters and the neck. the main thing is to take it slow and not cut into the meat. at least thats how i do it...the important thing to learn is cutting out the tenderloins, quarters, sweet meat, and neck roast...thats where the expertise comes in

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    MEAT no something your gonna mount... Ring around the hind legs, not to cut the tendon. Take hack saw and cut front legs off at knee joint. Split up to breast cavity where ya already gutter the deer, At hams, where ya got deer hangin by the tendons you DIDN"T cut. Split hide down to cavity where ya gutted,. Work hide down till ya can pull it down to tail, cut thru that and keep workin down. If deer is warm, you should be able to pull it.Use a sharp knife, a dull one will cut ya. Keep pullin till ya get to it's head. Wack off head, hide attached, and feed coyotes.

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Catoon some of the videos on the side bar of that field dressing video shows them skinning a deer.

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I leave the hide on, it gives a nice synged hair flavor to the meat when you grill it....:cool2:

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
  7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    If you have a chance to skin it while its still warm, its a lot easier. The colder it gets the more cutting you have to do. When the carcass is still warm you can cut a little and pull a lot. If you wait until its cool you will cut alot and pull alot. Either way its all part of the game...

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    [youtubevid]fNWnAyT_HqQ&feature[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]kt7bdPR6u6I&feature[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]o36SR4RlAls&feature[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]xVmxMvlwECQ&feature[/youtubevid]

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never skin my game warm. I let it age, and if you skin it first, it'll be dry..

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    We have to drive about 300 miles home. We leave the skin on, the meat is cool by then, usually, if the temp is cool. The hide keeps the meat from drying out, and protects from sun and road dirt. We hang em, and then skin em. It dont' take long, about 10 min per deer. Then we cut em in half and haul in quarters to bone out.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I don't leave the hide on very long at all, Usually skin a critter where it drops,, Don't want to take a chance on the Very efficient hide, and hair, keeping the meat warm,,, it'll spoil before you know it...Most important thing is to get the meat to cool down after the kill...Keep it clean, cool, ... I use heavy duty game bags and put the pieces in those, I skin on a little tarp I carry in my pack.. Helps keep the dirt, and other debris off the meat..
    An elk will start spoiling in a few hours, even if the outside temp is very cold.. Deer and antelope aren't so critical, but, it's just what I do..
    The first thing a game cutter will do when an animal comes in is to cut the back of the rear leg, and smell it,, if it's spoiled they won't waste anymore of their time with that carcass.. Get them cool and keep them cool, and, you'll be OK with your meat.

12. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Greg you hit the nail on the head. I always skin and quarter mine out to cool it off pretty quick. I know hogs are some of the worst at spoiling quickly if you leave the hide on in warm weather. I have heard that it only takes between 40 to 60 minutes for them to start to spoil.

13. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just don't lean over the grill at frist.