skinning squirrels

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Shenandoah, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I always skin a squirrel by cutting the middle of the back and then pulling both ways anybody know know an easier way?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I can't make that work. Everytime I've tried, the tail slides out from under my foot, leaving the hair behind. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

I skin 'em like Shenandoah does.

4. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    It always seemed easier if you skin em right after you kill em anytime i waited till i got done huntin they were harder to skin

5. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    i skinn them like that also.. but i do it while im hunting just put them in a big freezer bag an then into my backpack there alot easier to skin cause there still warm, it cools them quicker, i dont have to worry about a mess back at camp or garage . or carry around squirells with fleas plus it gives the foxes somthing to eat

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do it across the back, but always in the field. I figure that it gives the woods time to calm down a bit and let the smoke clear! lol :wink:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dave, that's the way I clean mine, except I've driven 2 nails in a tree in the yard. I cut them behind the Achilles tendon and hang them on the nails instead of wrestling them around on the ground.

The trick on pulling their shirt off is to put the tail on the other side of your foot - you're not stepping on the tail, you're stepping on the strip of hide where you cut it around the base of the tail and up the back. The base of the tail is braced against the side of your foot that way and it won't slide out from under:wink:

8. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I go in from the tail and strip em down. Its a heck of a lot easier when they are warm too.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cool. ive heard guys talk about skinning them by stepping on the tail. that looks like an easy way. ill be trying that soon. its in season here but its hot and grown up at the mement. i like a lil cooler weather in the fall.

10. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    That was too cool! I'm gonna have to get my pellet gun out and go for a walk now:big_smile:! I need to try that one for myself.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like to get a bucket of water and soak squirrles for a minute. Then lay it on it's belly, hold it's tail over it's back and cut thru the bone(carefull don't cut it all the way off) . Split the hide back across it's hind quarters an inch or so. Now lay it on it's back and put your foot on it's tail as close to it's butt as you can get it and pull up on both hind legs.Before you pull the hide entirely off it's front legs and head, reach and grab his britches (lol) or the hide on his hind wheels and pull it off.I use fish skinners to knock their feet off with but a knife works too. Gut em, soak in salt water and the rest is up to the cook.

The part about soaking them first, reduces the amount of hair dramatically. Sounds krazy but try it, it works.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    john. i had heard the very same thing about the water. sounds like it would work very well. wet hair will lay flat and wont fly around like dry would. another good tip.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    if you use a 12gaug at close range it will skin theam right out:crazy: but is quiet messy lol:cool2:

14. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have always used the method of cutting under the tail. You just have to make sure you cut far enough that when you step down, you are stepping on the skin not the tail. If you step on the tail the squirrel will slide and hair will be everywhere. I also like to soak them in the water, it really does help with the hair. But if your skinning themn in the field you wont have that luxury.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My stepdad always taught us to cut behind the tail and skin it down the back a bit with the knife. Then you hold the tail and spin it a few times then step on the tail and pull by the feet. Worked like a champ. Maybe spinning it made the hide stronger after it got bunched up.

I cleaned a LOT of game in my youth. My stepdad worked construction and was off a lot in the winter. He'd go hunting during the day. After we woke up we'd feed the horses, go to the creek and chop holes in the ice, then WALK a mile to catch the bus, then go to school, then get off the school bus and walk a mile home freezing our butts off, then we'd have to feed the horses and go down to the creek to chop holes in the ice again, then clean his game that he shot that day. THEN he would let us in the house to warm up!:angry:

Hey....but I am over it now!:smile2::wink:

Try that with todays kids and family services would be all over you. LOL!!!

16. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like the water trick,gonna have to do it.
    also gonna have to try the the tail trick,sounds a little easier than pulling it from the middle of the back.

17. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Take my knife and cut a slit across the back just below the shoulders. Slit big enough to get my fingers in (or my Grandson's on one side) and pull apart until the hide is pulled to the last joint in the legs before the paws. Cut the tail off, the paws and then the head. Procede with removing the internals. I do find it a lot easier to do right after you "harvest" them.