skinning or filleting

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by missouri cat hunter, Apr 27, 2009.

1. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    wat do u guys prefer skinning a fish or or filleting it to it depends on the fish like bass crappie and those kinda fish ill fillet but catfish i skin

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I fillet every thing. Makes it taste much better as you can trim any red meat or fat off. Plus no bones....

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yeah, what he said! LOL

4. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    bigger cats i fillet, smaller i skin. crappie and others fillet.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just fillet the cats with the skin on, flip over and using light pressure, slice the skin off, you'll avoid most of the red meat next to the skin that way. Trim all yellow or red meat and cut out the lateral line......TASTY!

Not sure if it's necessary to cut out the lateral line but I have been doing it since Johnny 777 told me too and he can make some short work of cleaning a pile of fish! Under 10 pounders of course!:wink:

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fillet everything now. Found a way to do it on cats and not even get ribs. I start at the back of the head go over the edge of the back and ribs then take the knife down to the backbone, to the talil, flip fillet off skin. To get the chunk inbetween the ribs and backbone cut down along the back bone to the ribs curve the nife and follow the ribs out. Ya get a nice peice of meat. Then go for the belly meat. When ya done all thats left is head, bones, and guts. Works great on flatheads with them pesky short ribs that stick out.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I fillet 99.9% of my catfish. The exception? Arkansas allows an additional limit of 10 channel cats under 16" in length on the Arkansas River...over and above the regular limit of 10 cats. Occasionally I like to eat small cats fried up whole, but no one else in the family likes them that way. So, maybe once or twice a year I'll keep 4 or 5 small channels for myself; gut & skin them, and cook them whole. Other than that, I fillet.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I fillet everything. Hate to mess with the bones.

Tom

9. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I cannot filet I am not going to clean it.

10. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I agree Josh, if it ain't big enough to fillet then there's no sense messing with it. No bones or red meat make for great table fare!!!!!!!!!!!

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also filet them. When I do the skin side I don't run my blade all the way to the skin, I leave about a 1/8" of meat on the skin...the red/fat stays on the skin. I also cut out the line. I prefer just pure white meat and if the kids see red the wont eat it...kids are kids I guess.

-Jim-

12. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fillet almost all of my fish.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Fileting is the way I like to do any cats I eat,, I don't really mess with any other kind of fish.

14. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    im a filleting kinda of guy on all fish

15. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Filleting is the only way in our house, when I was a kid we used to catch bullheads in the river and we would skin and fry whole but nothing gets buy the fillet knife now:smile2:

16. sigpros

sigpros Member

State:
    missouri
    I skin then fillet them

17. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't skinned a fish in years since I learned how to fillet. Never again will I skin one.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Talk about young and dumb! lol When I was just a kid (18 to 30 or so) I did it the hard way. Every fish had to have it's head cut off, gutted and scaled or skinned, what a mess and waste of time! lol :crazy::smile2:
    With the introduction a quality fillet knife and the experience of older and wiser fishermen I settled for the simple easy way. Fillet it, flip it, skin it. Sometimes if I have to do small gills and such I do revert to my old ways just to keep all the meat. Fried whole that way, the bones stay together just like in the cartoons! lol :wink: