Skinning hogs?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by fishnfool68, Jan 26, 2007.

1. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Is it true you have to do something special to get the hide off a hog.I've been told they have to be boiled.I've yet to harvest a hog but plan on butchering it myself when I do.I'd be thankful for any pointers in doing so.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i'd just skin it like a deer the old timers used to boil them and scrape the hair off to protect the meat when it was salted and cured i believe but unless you want to make chicharones[fried pork rinds ] i wouldnt worry bout it

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's right, hogs skin out just like a deer, or anything else for that matter.
    good hunting!

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    First I'd have to ask, "Do you have a big enough pot to boil a hog in?"

On a serious note just like the others said, they skin out just like a deer. Once you get them started you can grab a hold and pull their hide off just like a deer. Hope you get your first one soon. Their delicious....

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you dont really boil the hog.in the old days and still today you use a large pot bring water almost to a boil scald the hog and scrape the hair off the hog.quarter,pack,in salt,put out fire,pour out water,hitch up mules to wagen and go get another hog.

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    You have done that before.
    You forgot o tell tem how good it smells on a nice crisp morning and about building the fire under the barrel.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if i rember right it didnt smell that good but when we got it home and sugar cured it or smoked it it shore smelt good then

8. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Havent heard that in yyeaars "Chicharones".
    wish i had some homemades. The things they make today don't even crunch.:roll_eyes:
    Thanks for the memories.

9. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Now ya'll makin ole python hongray pork skins and sugar cured ham.............Snack time!!:big_smile:
    Stop that Johnnie!

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I just smelled the old farmhouse...always had hams hanging in the pantry with bacon, and all the preserves...man. I need a biscut.
    :smile2:

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've skinned several in the 90# range. Place a plastic bag lined, 5 gal bucket or suitable container under the hanging hog. Hide, guts, and head fit in the bucket.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If you're gonna skin the hog, then go buy a little box of razor blades. Hog hides are thick, tough, and heck on a skinning knife. I always try to use razor blades, and just pitch 'em as I go. When one gets dull you just throw it away and grab another. Much easier and faster than having to stop and sharpen your knife every couple of minutes.

Granted, I don't always have razors laying around when a pig needs skinning. Kind of a bummer, my knife sure dulls in a hurry on those darn porkers.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We just skin them like you would a deer with the only exception you will have to knife it all the way down. I've yet to skin one that you could just pull the hide off. The only time I will go to the trouble of scalding and scraping one is if I'm going to smoke it whole. And even then double wrapped in aluminum foil is almost as good.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    chain the back legs to stout tree. start to skin down past hams. attach large rope or chain to the hide and attach other end to bumper of truck. pull skin off with truck. hang the hog and butcher. to keep from getting the meat all dirty, put some feed sacks under the hog. this is easiest and fastest way.

I prefer to have "cracklins" so we boil water, pour in lye, cover hog in burlap sacks, then pour the boiling water on the hog. Let him sit for 5-10 mins then remove the sacks as u scrape.
    I love Cracklins!

15. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I had a guy tell me one time you could put a nozzle from an air hose under the skin of a deer and blow it up kind of like a balloon and pull the hide off easily. I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth a try on a hog too.

16. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I part time guide hog hunts on a small ranch and have skinned many hogs. The best way I have done it was just to keep the hams backstrap and tenderloins. A box cutter has been the best way to skin a hog for us. expose the blade about the width of the the hide. make long thin cuts or gashes down the hide, then peel like a bannana.:cool2:

17. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Head in a 5 gallon bucket. Bob don't you make souce out of the head? lol

18. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the only thing that i do different than a deer is that when i am skinning them i split the hide along the stomach and the back and the hide pulls of alot easiar. i have done this on hogs from 50# to over 500# and it works real well.

19. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    When I am thru they look like they were skinned with a hatchet. Doesn't matter much. I have a friend that takes a sheet rock knife and puts the blade out a little more than the hide thickness. He cuts strips and uses his catfish pliers to pull the thin strips of skin. His usually looks better than mine. We don't mess with them over about 150 lbs. I gutted a big boer for a girl on our deer lease several years ago. I spent the next three days washing my hands in Orange Go Jo and the stink just wouldn't come off. Won't make that mistake again !