Skinning catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thunderchicken, Jun 13, 2006.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Ok, I know most guys don't have a problem with it but I have arthritis and is difficult to hold onto a slimy catfish and do the deed. Does anyone have a way they use that makes it easier to skin a catfish? I have even thought of learning how to fillet one but have heard you still have to skin it first. Anyone with ideas on how to hang onto it? I usually clean it in the kitchen sink and am hoping it doesn't go sliding off onto the floor sometime. Thanks.
    :cool2:

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fillet the fish without doing anything. Just cut the fillet off lay it skin down and cut the meat from the fillet.

After some practice it will take less that one minute to clean a fish. There is never a need to skin a catfish.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What's up Mike?
    I picked up some gloves from walmart that are good for gripping things with. right now I cant remember what brand they are (and I am at work right now at the base so I cant go check) but, I am sure that they are pretty common. Also, there is an excellent thread on here titled "how I dress large fish" that should help.

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    There used to be a fillet board with a clip on the end for securing the fish. I do not know if they are still for sale anywhere. I found it to be useful on smaller fish. I had a friend that used to use a board with a heavy nail and would impale the head on it and use it to hold the fish down when skinning it. I never tried it but it worked well for him. For larger fish, I just string them up on a tree limb and peel away.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Yep just shove thier head down on a large nail, instant death for them, then skin them out. I prefer filets but my wife likes them whole. It's pretty quick and easy. Takes longer cleaning the guts out.

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I do the same. You gotta hold the skin and a little sawing motion and you have the skin off. I don't eat that funky silver stuff or that red meat and there is less of that when you just cut the skin free.

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Guys,

I do not know whether this is applicable or not. I know that some people prefer to skin a cat, rather than do it this way. Some time back I posted a thread of how I clean my catfish. The same technique can be done with almost any type of fish. It works well and there is very little waste.

Maybe this may work for your situation. Here is the link

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756

Martinman

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Great technique for those who have an electric knife. The only thing I would add is that you bleed the cat first.

~ My skinnin technique~
    * I will hang it from a tree or a tripod and bleed it first. Once this is done, I will make 5 cuts, two cuts on either side of the fish under the gill plats meeting behind the dorsal. Two more cuts on the underside forming a v pointing towards the rear end. The final cut under the belly, up to the rectum.
    Pull the skin away on both sides with a skinning pliars and finaly, break the neck forward, this will pull the inards out without damaging them and spilling the insides all over the meat. Then you can cut the meat away from the ribs and spine....

I'm certain that there are more efficent ways at doing this.. This is just my way.
    ~A

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. Will give it a try next time I get a fish.
    :cool2:

10. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    Martinman,

That's actually the way I learned to fillet any fish, and I only ever used a standard filet knife.

11. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you're determined to skin 'em you could mount a hook (something similar to a gaff hook) to your cleaning table to hold the fish with. This makes it alot easier skinning catfish. You can use both hands pulling the hide off 'em.

12. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    filleting them is the only way to go if ya don't want bones in them.i never bleed my fish, most of the time i have the meat off before he even knows what happen. you may want to try a electric fillet knife it might work better for you.