Skinning a softshell?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by dinkbuster1, Jul 19, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    whats the easiest way to skin a softshell turtle? i have the worst luck trying to get their skin off, i end up peeling it off of the meat with a filet knife. catfish skinners just do not work either:sad2:

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Two words.... TURTLE SUSHI! I wish I could help ya Dink, but I have never had the gumption to try to skin a turtle!

Aaron

TA2D

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Skin a soft shell I have never heard of that. I would think when you boil the meat the skin would come off by itself. Im talking about just boiling it in water not in any type of stew, etc.

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I never heard of skinnin one. we always cut shin around legs, up thru soft spots on top edges of shell and around, kinda like separating a oreo cookie, only the soft shell will taste better fried!!:lol:
    after cuttin round the edge, cut the back off the meat, then cut the meat off the belly pan. (hard to tell how but its easy)
    My dad cleaned many a one with just his pocket knife.:cool2:
    I hope this helps!
    oh, best thing is put heart on ice (cool it) then once it quits beating place it in someones hand. once it starts to warm it will start beating again.:0a26:

5. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    That heart trick is a good one the grangdaughter almost wet her self haha!
    Acouple of years ago an old gent showed me how to clean turtles hard or soft he used those long handled garden loopers the ones you cuy branches with .makes it easy.
    wack off the head and split them down the side wala meat.

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Dink ,we always Scalded the turtle and all the skin will come right off and even the shell will peel ,just get a tub of water to a hard boil and dip him a few times and it will make it easy

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yup!This is the way it is done down South too.I have seen people in foreign countries skin fish this way.peewee-williams

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cool, im gonna try this tequnique!

9. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dropping 'em in hot water will cause them to claw themselves getting most of the "outer thin skin" off the turtle but there's still the actual thick skin to remove. It's easiest done after cooking the meat done by boiling in water.

10. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Any of you guys ever dunk your catfish in hot water .
    Bewell CR

11. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have never ate a soft shelled turtle. Are they any good? I have ate a snapper, though. I love them. Boy, I have caught alot of those softies this year.