Skin Cancer...

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by GoFish_Tony, Oct 22, 2007.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Nobody wants to read this…
    …but you really should.

Did you know ultraviolet radiation (the suns rays) is a proven human carcinogen? And all unprotected UV exposure contributes to cumulative skin damage, accelerating aging and increasing our lifetime risk of skin cancer?

Ultraviolet light - from sunlight or sunbeds - is the main cause of skin cancer. It can damage the DNA that makes up the genes in skin cells. The wrong type of damage to the wrong genes will make a cell become cancerous.

Doing a search here on the BOC reveals that many of us (or our families) have already had to face this form of Cancer. It’s unfortunate, but true; our favorite outdoor recreations (fishing, hunting, etc…) has the ability to kill us!

Skin Cancer Facts
    • Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. More than 1 million skin cancers are diagnosed annually.
    • One in 5 Americans and one in 3 Caucasians will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
    • More than 90 percent of all skin cancers are caused by sun exposure.
    • A person's risk for skin cancer doubles if he or she has had five or more sunburns.
    • More than 20 people die each day from skin cancer, primarily melanoma.
    • 1 in 59 men and women will be diagnosed with melanoma during their lifetime.
    • One blistering sunburn in childhood more than doubles a person's chances of developing melanoma later in life.
    • While melanoma is uncommon in African-Americans, Latinos, and Asians, it is most deadly for these populations because it is more likely to develop undetected.
    • Survival rate for patients with early detection is about 99%. The survival rate falls to between 15 and 65% or higher, depending on how far the disease has spread.
    MEN/WOMEN
    • The majority of people diagnosed with melanoma are white men over age 50.
    • Skin cancer is the #1 cancer in men over age 50, ahead of prostate, lung and colon cancer.
    • Men over age 40 spend the most time outdoors and have the highest annual exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
    • Melanoma is the third most common cancer in women aged 20-39.
    • The percentage of women under age 40 with basal cell carcinoma has tripled in the last thirty years, while their rate of squamous cell cancer has increased four-fold.
    Early diagnosis is absolutely crucial for malignant melanoma as treatments for advanced melanoma are rarely effective. However, for other types of skin cancer, early diagnosis is sensible, but not a matter of life or death.

No More Excuses
    Men don't like to wear sunscreen. They complain that it feels weird, or makes them smell like a girl or a pina colada. But with skin cancer reaching epidemic proportions in men, it's time to tackle those complaints head on:

Complaint: "They smell flowery and feminine."
    Answer:
    Look for unscented formulations. They are just as effective without the scent.

Complaint:
    "The oily base makes my skin feel greasy."
    Answer:
    Water or alcohol-based lotions, creams, gels and sprays actually outnumber oil-based products. Try different types and brands to find out what feels right for you.

Complaint:
    "They make my hands slippery, which ruins my grip."
    Answer:
    Try a sport sunscreen. They're designed to absorb quickly, without leaving a greasy or sticky residue.

Complaint:
    "When I sweat, the stuff runs into my eyes and stings."
    Answer:
    Use a stick sunscreen on your forehead and around your eyes. It's easy to apply and stays put even when you sweat or swim. Never put sunscreen directly on the eye area. Protect the skin around your eyes with sunglasses instead.

Prevention Tips
    • Seek the shade, especially between 10 A.M. and 4 P.M.
    • Do not burn.
    • Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths.
    • Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day.
    • Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours.
    • Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
    • Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
    • Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
    • See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.
    With the advent of the Internet there is much information available to us, yet this type of cancer is on the rise. Catfishing is a sport that is about to eclipse (pun intended) all other fishing sports.

I see no reason why we can't also be a leader in the prevention of skin cancer and it's devastating effects on us all.

Having a knowledgeable respect for the potential damages the sun can cause, will lead to not only our own enjoyment, but also the enjoyment and safety of our families.

Tony
    _

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey Tony, How've you been.... You know if you handn't of posted this, I might have gone to the happy hunting grounds and you would've had one less Democrat to deal with lol! :wink:

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Shawn ... even though you are a Democrat... I still love ya brother. (I would just love ya a lot more if you were a Republican.)
    :wink:

My wife (Mary) and I are doing well... considering. We have had quite the scare this month as she has been diagnosed as having Malignant Melanoma Skin Cancer. This form of skin cancer is the most deadly of the three types and is the type that is prone to spreading to internal organs. On a scale of 1-4 (4 being the worse) hers is ranked as a 2. She has had 2 surgeries this month (as well as many other test) and we are fairly sure that they have removed all the malignant cells. We meet with the Oncologist this Thursday.

We have always had a ski boat (and now a fishing boat too), and have pretty much raised our family enjoying outdoor recreations. It was always a high priority to cover the kids with sunscreen but as you might expect, we were less concerned about our own skin.

Let me tell you... Cancer sucks big time! Especially knowing that this type could have been prevented.

I hope all that read this will realize that it's not that hard to safeguard ourselves from this type of cancer. We all can still enjoy our outdoor recreations, but MUST be proactive in protecting ourselves from the harmful
    effects of the sun.

Tony

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you don't mind my asking, how did you discover it?

The reason I am asking is because I have this little "thing smack in the middle of my chest. I've had it for about 2-3 years, and just curious if I am stupid for not checking it out.... I am only 41.

I wish you and your family well and you are all in my prayers.

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    No, I don't mind at all. In fact I am glad you did. Mary has had this spot on her back for about 3-4 years. I've always been concerned about it but her regular Dr. only wanted to "keep an eye on it". Fortunately for us, Mary was going in for her yearly checkup and had a different Dr. This Dr saw this and that's when things started happening fast!

I hate to think of what might have happened if Mary's had gone undetected for much longer.

Take a look at the "ABCD's of moles".
    If ANY of them apply then please have a Dr. take a look at it.
    • Asymmetry - Unlike benign moles, which are generally round and symmetrical, early melanomas usually are shaped irregularly. Draw a line down the center of the mole or growth. If the pattern on both sides of the line is not equal, then that lesion is asymmetrical.
    • Border - Malignant melanomas generally have irregular edges.
    • Color - Variegation. The color of malignant melanomas is often
      variegated (mottled), ranging from tan to brown and black, and sometimes containing blue, red or white areas within the mole
    • Diameter enlargement. Diameter enlargement of a mole in excess of six millimeters (1/4") may be a warning sign of melanoma.
    Thank you Shawn, much appreciated.

Tony
    _

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Good post.
    I had a melanoma skin cancer on my leg about 7 years ago. It was almost past the state of no return. In Death. But I did beat it. The cut down into my right leg down to the bone and mussel about 16 long.
    But they got it all out.
    So guys if you have a spot that changes shape or starts getting more than one layer on it. Get it checked.
    It could also save your life also.
    There was three of us in the office that day I first got mine checked. And the other older guys were talking about how bad mine was compared to theres. Both of them were dead within 6+ months. And It did scare me bad. So now you can bet I don't wait to get one checked .
    PEte

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Monday I will go for my 8th radiation treatment (X-Ray) on a skin cancer on my scalp. Only 12 more to go!

I am very lucky, and blessed, that my skin cancer was not melanoma, but only of the basaloid cell type. Very easy to cure if caught in time.

I had a spot on my right scalp that would not heal. It kept bleeding, forming a scab, then bleeding somemore.

After about 4 months of me bleeding onto my pillow case at night, my dear wife MADE me go to a dermatology physician.

GoFish_Tony, my prayers go out to you and your wife Mary for her speedy cure.

Bill

8. kctinner

kctinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 2in. scar on my left cheek from skin cancer i had it removed when I was 28 years old.It was a spot that just would not go away my general doctor told me it was nothing to worry about,thank god i got a second opinion

9. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    You guys are scaring the crap out of me! I'm going to get checked right after I bathe in sunscreen! :crazy:Thanks for all the info guys.
    Linz:wink:

10. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I had 4 skin cancers removed last mo. That makes a total of 9 so far .

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    for anyone that is scoffing at this, (and 3 yrs ago i would of) it's no joke. i got skin cancer. turned into what they call sqamous cell (spl). into throat on top of thyroid gland and bulged out side of neck. went two months on feeding tube, one of the heaviest chemo/radiotion treatments they have, to cure. now, i lather up good before going outside. it's not a joke. it's serious. get a tan, that's fine. but protect yourself.
    done off the podium now. but what i went through, i'd not wish on either of my ex wives.
    gary

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks.
    Folks,don,t let it get past the point of no return.I waited all summer for the heat to go away so that I could get out.Covered up pretty well but not all.Between my wrist and my shirtsleeves,cancers popped up covering 50+% of my skin.They were already there.The sun exposer just brought them out to see in red.I have some rare kind of multi-cell lymphoma.They say that they have no cure and no treatment to help.I look at the good part as I don't have to suffer the treatments so many of you have.They know little about my cancer,but I have spent my life in the sun,even as a child.Much just wearing shorts.I probably have had a hundred sunburns.They may not know what causes my type of cancer but I have done and been exposed to all of the things that they now know causes cancer.I mean all.Sun,smoking,nuclear radiation,chemicals,and it is hereditary in my family.

If you are young,quit your job if necessary,but don;t do the things that we now know causes cancer.Folks.People have repeatedly tried to kill me in my life time.I have worked many days litterly waist deep in starving alligators,survived storms on the water that killed others,regularly working exposed high on steel in sever rain,lightning and wind storms and many more so called dangerous things.I did the later so often that I got to sticking two welding rods in my hard hat for lightning rods as a joke.Many people who told me I was crazy were living far more dangerous in the Sun and their tanning beds.Funny ain't it?No it is not.I was aware of my danger and therefore could minimize the danger as much as possible.They were not,so could not.

I was raised on the water and beaches.I raised my children the same and have personally,along with the help of movies and TV seen millions of children over exposed to the sun.This is why I say the following.

Please start now with the children in your family and around you.Fact of life is that many of us have killed our children at a future date in our ignorance as our parents did with us due to this.Many will die in the future for our allowances.We know better now.We can stop it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. Equinox

Equinox New Member

State:
    Sweden
    I lost a colleague to malignt melanoma couple of years ago, after this I cover me and my children as much as possible even on cloudy days especially at sea.

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I am very light complected and I am always concerned about skin exposure. I'm usually pretty good about wearing sunscreen and my "floppy hat" that you see in my avatar. Be sure to take care of yourselves!

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Tony for posting some good info. If one fishes he needs to take heed.

16. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I also had a spot removed 3 years ago from the side of the nose. So far so good. But I am very happy to see Tony post this important precaution. Most of us blow it off thinking it's not really important at the time because we want to fish , but take that extra minute or 2 and put some on. It might make a difference in the long run. I hope you all with it are blessed with healing and not coming back. Thank you Go fish_Tony for the reminder to all of us.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It is a very serious matter. With the depletion of the Ozone layer and the suns rays.....Everyone should use a good sun block whenever outdoors. Even on cloudy days too!

18. Bazpro

Bazpro New Member

State:
    VA
    Great Post!!! I burn easy and wouldn't be suprised if later on it effects me. I always keep lotion with me now. Better late then never.

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Y'all got my attention...had an appointment with the derm today. He froze several "pre-cancers", and took a couple of biopsies. I'll have the results in a week, or so.

Mods, this thread really ought to be stickied. Important stuff.

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never had a freckle in my life until i got a serious sunburn. now my shoulders are covered with them. i have a couple of spots that my girlfriend is concerned about that i'm going to the doc. for. thats why i fish almost exclusively at night now...