SKiffs all around catfish boat or not

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bluecatnut, Oct 27, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    I was looking to see if the boc could once again answer one of the many questions of life like could a good size skiff like lets say 22ft by 8ft be a good all around cat boat cause u can get then in 1 1/2 feet of water lots of room center console big front deck for storage lots of room for rods holders and live wells 3 can fish rather comfortable out of one and what size motor would u recomend i was thinking a e-tec 125 what do u all think

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Rusty I would say it would work.
    Post a link to the one your looking at.
    Pete

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You have pros and cons with any boat.
    The barge type flat bottoms are the most stable boats out there for a fishing platform.
    I wouldn't waste my money on a 125 cause speed is going to rupture your kidneys or cause you to bite your tongue off with any hint of a wave.
    They dont ride good.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    agreed, in general... the shallower the running the rougher the ride. I don't pass through 2 ft. of water to get to too many cats tho heh.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Big motors arent a shallow drive.
    If you really have the need and wants to go shallow the best course to take and the cheapest is building a boat like the XF-20 or Extreme flats boat. Otherwise expect to spend around 30,000.
    To buy a comparable boat would be real expensive.
    Seen pictures of this boat wide open throttle in ankle deep water and its a 20x8 Garvey design.

I could turn key this boat for myself for 7000 including trailer and tiller steer 30 horse motor And she would run 30MPH no problem.

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I recently purchased a Carolina Skiff 218DLV, a 21 foot center console with a 8 foot beam powered by a 115 4 stroke Yamaha. The DLV's have a mod v bow and kind of look like a Boston Whaler. Tons of fishing room and storage. They come with fore and aft decks, flip cooler seat and bait live well. I usually fish 8 rods with 4 adults and have room to spare - very comfortable, no tripping over gear or each other. In 2-3 foot waves it will pound ya to death at wide open (40 mph by GPS) but if you back it down to around 25 mph it's a pretty comfortable, dry ride. IMO it's the perfect big river catfishing rig - rugged without all the fancy gear most boats of this size come with - hose her down when I get home and I'm done.