Skiff for a Catfishing Boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by alleygator, Jul 2, 2007.

1. alleygator

alleygator New Member

State:
    Florida
    Greetings. I'm a newbee to this forum but like it very much overall. Quick question for all of you vetran catfisherman. I've got my eyes on a nice boat for sale. A friend of mine has a 2002 17f Sundance Skiff. Its a one owner, with a 60 hp Yamaha alu prop and a 82 lb thrust Great White trolling motor. Nice majic tilt trailer. Two small lives wells in the rear. One is curently used for a live well and the other for storage. Nice flats boat for shallow water ocean but I like to fish the lakes here in central Florida. One day the flats maybe. One draw back is the lack of storage space. Can work around that. Just want a nice all around boat for fresh water and the lagoons if I decide to go that route. Catfishing is a must!! The price of the boat is $4,500.00. I've had it for a couple of days and it does run great!! Does anyone out there have some advice or comments they can throw my way on a fiberglass flats boat for cats? Thanks in advance.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Patrick, I fish out of a 22' Sundance Center Console and to me it is the ideal cat boat. True, it does not have a lot of storage, but it has space enough for what you need. I fish five days a week, 50 weeks a year. Extra storage space offers theives more stuff to steal! It can be used in shallow water, major rivers and the intercoastal waterways. Can be a little bouncing in rough waters, but all you have to do is slow down.

3. alleygator

alleygator New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not into going fast. The older I get the more I'd rather putt around the lake and the roadway for that matter. Alot can be missed by flying to one side of the lake to the next. Just the reply I was looking for.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Personally I love skiffs as cat boats. In my opinion they are the best operating platform for the money. My next boat will probably be either a Sundance or a Carolina Skiff.

I have fished on Macs many times and it is well suited for catting. In fact, it is probably one of the best set-ups I have been on. Ample room in the rear to work and plenty of room for a bait tank or live well well up front.

Skiifs are easily towable to different lakes. The flat bottom boats can be bumpy, but I would rather trade off a bumpy ride for the ability to move through skinny water. I have been on Macs in water so shallow I could read the label on a beer can sitting on the bottom!! :wink:

I too like storage, but more for dry clothes, food, life jackets, extra tackle, etc. Personally, I prefer to have my rods out on deck in vertical rod holders for easy access.

5. alleygator

alleygator New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks to both of you for helping me decide. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or pics of how they rigged their flats boat to make a nice cat boat? I recently purchased a Lowrance LMS 520c and dual battery charger from Bass Pro. Haven't had a chance to installl them yet. Mother Nature has been busy blessing us with much needed rain here in Central Fl. Not like the brothers out in Texas. Our prayers go out to those folks and their families. Some pics or just ideas on rigging the boat would be nice. Thanks

6. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Alleygator---send some of that rain up to Palatka.
    Good luck on outfitting your boat.
    Walter

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Old wooden flat bottom skiffs have caught more Catfish than all the rest,simply because they have been around much longer.They have also drowned many people in our large shallow freshwater lakes in sudden afternoon thunderstorms.Santee's lakes and the Okeechobee can can get dangerous in a hurry.Many have drowned trying to save the boat when they could have run it up on the nearest shore and saved their lives.It has saved mine so I could later look for some that didn;t.It sounds like a great boat and has a reputation for doing everything that it was made to do.If it makes you feel like a kid on Christmas morning,you got the right boat.If not,you might want to keep looking for one that does.I wish you the best in what ever you decide.Please let us know how things work out.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. hotrod3h

hotrod3h New Member

State:
    WV
    I fished on a Carolina Skiff on the James. It was all set up for serious cattin and boy was it nice. Lots of room had no carpeting so easy to clean up. Great rod rack in the back with lights on it. I was impressed. Thought it rode pretty good in the water as well.

9. alleygator

alleygator New Member

State:
    Florida
    HotRod, thanks for the reply. Liked the idea of the rod rack with lights mounted on the rear of the boat. Would love to see some pics of similar ideas and set ups. Took the boat off the trailer yesterday and replaced the brackets under the bungs. Previous owner liked the salt water fishing and they were badly rusted. Lifted the bungs up all the way cause the lakes are so low here in Fl now. The boat got on the trailer much better. Thanks to all for the replies. Will keep everyone posted on the progress.

10. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I live just north of you in Jacksonville. I purchased a smaller skiff -a J16 by carolina skiff. It has a large front deck and set up for stick steer. I didn't put a seat in it but made one with a swivel seat on top of a storage bin. At night while I am anchored I just push the seat towards the front and have lots of room. I can even lay down on the bottom of the boat on a beanbag and still have lots of room. I made a steel bar that runs across the back of the boat with 4 steel rod holders on it. I just use my stern light to light up the tips of the rods at night. I made a little cutout of an aluminum can and hung it on the backside of the light to keep the light from coming back towards me though. I just made a 30 gallon livewell out of a 55 gallon plastic drum that sits in the back left corner. Beside it is a 12 gallon gas tank and a 27 series battery. I also have a backup battery up front on the right. It serves as my qbeam powersource at night and backup in case the other battery dies for some reason. I mounted my old 25 horse tohatsu motor on the back and it flies for me. I am getting ready to mount a small trolling motor on the front mostly just for catching bait. Enjoy your boat...

11. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have a 1989 model 18' Carolina skiff that we bought new. We have used it in the Atlantic,the Gulf of mexico, and rivers and lakes all over the south. To me the big wide flat bottom style skiff boat is the best you can get for catfishing.

12. alleygator

alleygator New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks to both Cuda-Cada and CatHooker for the replies. Cuda you seem to on to something with the rear set up for rod holders. I'm gonna try to figure out something like that. Cathooker, your style of fishing is just what I'm after. Thanks to both for the responses. This is truly a great site!!!!!!

13. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    how shallow can these skiffs go? right now i just have a little 14 ft vbottom, but after i'm done with college i'm going to be looking to get a bigger, nicer boat and was looking at this style. I was actually looking at the kenner ones from the basspro website.....any thoughts/advice, or anything to help me decide....i know it's a couple years in advance, but this way when i get one, i'll know exactly what i want.

14. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    with that....mostly be fishing bigger rivers and some shallower lakes, and probably bays of the great lakes