Skiff boat coming home

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by OkieBo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Many of you might remember my big skiff boat i ggot last year? Well i dropped my boat off last week to have the motor gone thru. It will be ready this weekend. The next two months will be spent turning an empty hull into my personalized cat boat! I just need to get a new digital camera cause i know you guys like pics!

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Don't be like me and forget to take before pics. Get that camera and get to snapping them pics, :smile2:

Keep us posted and good luck.

3. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I hear ya hunter! Here is a few pics of when i first got it.

Attached Files:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Bo that will make ya a nice boat congrats

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Bo is that a Bronco pulling that? What year?

6. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yes, a 79!

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thought so. I had a 79 and a 91. Sure do miss them. Good trucks. Thanks!!

8. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well i got it home Saturday. I had to wait until today when my battery charged up to fire it up. It ran great! Oklahoma BOC go see Chuck and Dave's in OKC for outboard repair. I also picked a few more sheets of plywood at lowes. You can see where my console will be mocked up?

Attached Files:

9. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    This next pic is a rough sketch i drew on a 1/2 inch grid notebook paper. I use these graphs for all types of projects involing distances. Some people like to create as they go. Not me I like to plan it out. Please take heed this is just the first sketch not the final one. But you see the general idea of my layout. Plus you may be able to use this idea on your project? Also those last boat pics were taken with my phone camera. Not bad for almost dark!

Attached Files:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I got a feeling that is going to make one heck of a catting boat . Congrats on the boat. Will be watching:wink:

11. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    good luck with the boat i'm gonna get me one ready by march i hope i don't have much work to do to it:cool2:

12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Congrats on your boat Bo. Looks like it will be perfect to go chase cats in. Wishing you many good hooksets Bro.....

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    looks like a great project! Good luck brother

14. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well it looks like construction will be slowed down the next three weeks. I am going to be putting in some major overtime. The bright side is I will have made enough to cover the rest of my expenses for this project. Downside is its 15hrs a day for 20 days wow I must be crazy? Work hard play hard! I guess it will give me some more time to order the rest of my hardware. I will update as I go.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Helluva NICE boat!!!! CONGRATS!!

Bill in SC

16. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well here is a list of things i need to do before hitting the water. In no particular order.

1: Paint bottomside
    2: Fabricate decks
    3: Fabricate/resin/paint console
    4: Install New Wires/ switch panel / lights
    5: Carpet decks
    6: Tuff Coat floor and sides
    7: Install trolling motor
    8: Install livewell/plumbing
    9: Thank my wife for putting up with me spending time with the boat and not her! LOL

Hopefully i can have all this done in the next two months. Thats about the time i start crappie fishing real hard.

17. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well i got the front deck fabbed up today. I had to go in to work so this is all i got done. Going to the boat show yesterday gave me some great ideas for my rig. I am also thinking of making a smaller permanent livewell instead of the larger one. I still would have a large livewell just in a portable form. That way i have more room in my boat for people when i fish smaller species. A chest toolbox will fit perfect against the front deck on those jug/trotline trips. My only down fall for the portable livewell is it will not be insulated so i will have to make sure i plumb it really well for fresh water!

Attached Files:

18. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well since my last post I was able to get the rear deck fabbed up to. Today I finished boxing in the center console. I will resin coat all plywood in the next couple of weeks when I get time. I have also decided to carpet the bow and stern decks. The interior floor and console will get the tuff coat treatment.

I have also accumulated parts and supplies such as navigation lights. Low mount docking lights, fuse panel, aeator pump. Swivel seat mounts, led courtesy lights, drink holders, oar, fire extinguisher, used 12 gallon fuel cell, repair manual for my 50hp.

I still need carpet, seats, batteries. Livewell(which I plan on using a cooler until I make up my mind what I want put in), fishfinder/gps mapping ( going with the lowrancee HDS 5 which I will get in 5 weeks,SI in 3months)

I also got a new camera since my last one broke so I will get pics up real soon!

19. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Going to be a real nice cat machine when U get done. Take your time and U will do a great job. Good luck when U finish.
    PEEDEE CAT

20. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The first pic is of the front deck. I will carpet the top and tuff coat or enamel the bottom. I will also be installing three swivel-eze seat bases for at least some two wide fishing comfort. The third will be centered for single person to be on deck. I also plan to install a storage hatch on top of the deck for all access to beneath.

The second pic is of rear deck. I still need to install deck piece between the transom and current rear deck. This piece will hinge upward towards bow for access to fuel and bilge area. The rear deck will get full carpet top and bottom front. My batteries will be installed beneath port side rear deck with a small storage area on starboard side as well. Again three removable seats across for seating while underway.

I am having some trouble deciding what to do with my controls/steering cable/ electric wires coming from the console. I do not have a tunnel under floor like most center console boats have. Should i just wrap them in good material and lay on bottom of boat? PVC coming from console? small box between console(mocked up perch trap for now) and deck? As you can see there is a small gap between the rear deck and floor. I dont want to be tripping on alot of stuff but i do not want to cut the floor to install tunnel unless i have to. Thanks for loooking.

Attached Files: