Skiatook Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TDawgNOk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Osage County, 18 miles NW of Tulsa, OK
    10,190 acres; shoreline: 160 miles

The developers of Skiatook Lake have taken great care to preserve as much of the natural landscape as possible. The Department of Wildlife manages 5,087 acres of land around the lake for fish and wildlife. The lake supports good populations of sport fish, including largemouth bass, hybrid striped bass, crappie, channel catfish, bluegill as well as drum, carp & buffalo. More than 1,800 acres of project land are open to hunting.

2. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It has 10'190 surface acres and 160 miles of shoreline. The lake supports good populations of channel cats, blues, flatheads, hybrid stripers, crappie, bluegill, drum, carp, buffalo and black bass. When the lake was formed in 1973, very little of land was cleared, leaving a good amount of natural habitat. Known as one of the most scenic lakes in Oklahoma.

3. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Anyone know of any good spots on Skiatook lake?

4. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, went to Skiatook Lake this weekend.

Score Catfish 40, Tony 1

We stayed at Tall Cheif Cove campgrounds.

Friday night, we put out 20 Jugs with a total of 25 hooks in the water with frozen cut shad on them near the dam. Caught a 1 blue cat less than a pound. He is happily back in the lake.

Saturday night, we put out 15 jugs with Live Blue Gill small, most under 2 in, 1 4 in. We put these out in a cove with lots of timber between the campsite and the boat ramp. Didn't catch a thing.

I need to find a good spot on Skiatook and figure out what the cats there are biting on.

We did have luck Sunday Night and Monday morning catching Sand Bass.
    We were headed back to the campsite and saw the Sandbass jumpin and chasin shad. We started throwing out topwater lures and caught 10 nice Sand bass. Since we were wanting fish so bad, we headed out Monday morning to see if we could find them running again. We found them near a small cove at about 7:30. Tried to cast my top water torpedo out and my Zebco 33 got all tangled around the shaft. Had to drag the line in by hand, and then switch to another rod/reel. While I was bringing in the line, I watched while right in front of the boat, the shad and sand bass went NUTS. Floppin up outta the water, at least 70 or 80 jumpin a min for about 2 mins. Then it was over. They went down to about 8 - 15 foot. We caught 10, for about 5 lbs of fillets all weekend.

5. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Looks like another trip to Skiatook this weekend.

Looking forward to running some jugs, and catchin sandies