Ski-boat motor question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dinkbuster1, Nov 22, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    freind of mine is giving me his 1997 18ft Rinker I/O ski boat :)smile2: ) thats been sitting in his yard for the last 4 years, motor needs replaced and he doesnt feel like foolin with it and wants it out of the yard. problem is the chevy v-6 motor in it has a cracked block. can any 'ol chevy v-6 motor (or bigger) work or does it have to have special gaskets, freeze plugs and such? believe me, i probably wont be keeping it, no doubt trade it for a REAL cat-boat.:big_smile:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your about to get the biggest pain in the azz you ever had. If he's giving you the boat, he's no friend.

That boat will need alot more than an engine replacement, and "NO", a standard chevy engine won't last anytime at all in a boat.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks. well, good thing is then my freind ended up giving it to his brother today before i could reach him about me wanting to come get it. heard his brother is in the process of slapping a used 350 from a truck in it as i write this. oh boy.......:eek:oooh:

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Keep your distance. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Marine engines spin the opposite direction of automotive engines. I'm sure they will figure that part out after that ole 350 goes nowhere.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ROTFLMAO!!!!:tounge_out:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC

Some older ones did, but that's not the main issue.

Marine built engines are work horses designed to be continuasly under strain. There's more than 17 modifications to a marine engine that make it hold up, including fire safety issues.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Can you say Balance and Blueprint.. And a whole lot more.
    Pete

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Take that truck with the 350 still in it and back it out on the highway.
    Floor it and hold it wide open then after 2 miles totally let off and then stomp it again for the next 4 miles and again and again. See how long it lasts.
    Nobody drives a boat like their car.

10. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I always think about this. If a car would eventually break down while under full throttle constantly, why wouldn't a boat?

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    u can still use reg v6 block, my friend did 5 yrs ago and still runnin

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Ned, the answer is what Bobpaul posted. Marine engines are built differently from the inside out. Once a car or truck gets up to a cruising speed it doesnt take a whole lot of work from an engine to keep it there.
    A standard car or truck engine is considered a limited duty engine where a marine engine is considered a continuous duty engine. Freeze plugs and even head gaskets are different.

Fuel pumps are double diaphram instead of single diaphram.
    If the fuel pump on your chevy truck goes bad it leaks fuel on the ground. That is where you want it. The same fuel pump in a boat would leak the gas in the bilge. Fuel fumes explode!
    The starters and alternators are different. They have flame arrestors as both are spark emitting devices. The distributors are different for the same reason.
    Carbeurators have flame arrestors on them so they are different also.
    Safety would be my primary concern considering the amount of fires on boats or explosions on boat that occur every year in this country with fatality and property damage.

Your standard car engine is water cooled through a radiator which contains antifreeze. In this closed loop you dont encounter corrosiveness of an open loop like in a inboard boat engine with no antifreeze and potentially saltwater.
    Whether it be used in fresh or salt water the freeze plugs must be changed to brass.
    The list to modifying an engine for boat use is lengthy and should only be attempted by someone qualified. By the time you pay for all these parts and pieces you could find a crate motor for a boat at a comparable price and maybe cheaper. I've seen them advertised in various magazines from boating mags to street car mags. Long block and short block assemblies.

I've also seen these type boats converted to outboard use. It will require transom work as the transom wasnt designed to carry the weight unless it is an inboard outboard configuration. Still its best done by someone qualified or someone with mechanical apptitude that knows better then to use Bondo on a boat.:big_smile:
    If you have a good outboard laying around or get in the market for a reasonably priced used one converting may be better money spent if you just want to use the hull.

If it were me I would leave the boat problems in the other man's backyard and shop for an operational boat that somebody has reasonably priced. Its not hard to find one just to take up payments on. I have a friend that has a 3 year old 1860 G3 center console with a 4 stroke 90 horse Yammy he'll let go for payments. This boat might have been used 20 times in 3 years.
    you can find these deals all over the place especially in the dead of winter.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dang! glad i didnt fool with it then! i talked to me freinds brother today, he said "this will work, trust me" (350, 4 barrell straight from a mid 80's blazer). i'll let ya all know how and where and how soon it kicks the bucket.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hey yall! Watch this !

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, they get that 350 installed, they'll be able to lay rubber all over the lake. Are they rednecks? LOL

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    some of the biggest "rednecks" youve ever seen!:lol: