skeg protector / hydrostablizer

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by chambers bd, Feb 15, 2009.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Whats the best skeg protector.

2. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    don't use one of theskeg guards, but the Attwood hydrofoil stabilizer works well to get on plan and stay there... even when I'm alone in the back of the boat...

Shawn

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Aint much protecting to a skeg unless you are just trying to keep it pretty.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I put a black fin on my skeg, allowed it to dry week, It did well, and yes Mark its pretty! get over it!:smile2:

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I never liked negative folks, its kinda like kicking your own ass, It dont work!

I know we can go to Marks and micturate on his boat!:smile2:

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    [From Latin mictur[​IMG]re, to want to urinate, desiderative of meiere, to urinate; see meigh- in Indo-European roots.]:smile2:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Brian, a picture is worth a thousand words. What in the world are you guys talking about? I'm reading apples and oranges. LOL

8. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    im confused also,, the thread started off asking about skegs then they started in about whale tails, hydrofoils, dolfins, etc

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    ? Had you broken your skeg before you installed the Blackfin, or did you install it to help protect the skeg? Around where I live, the most common damage is erosion from running over sand bars or galvanic corrosion from the salt/brackish water, with broken skegs form submerged stumps or debris running second, I suppose.

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    The Skeg on my outboard was showing signs of wear, so I got a black fin skeg protector. It works real well!

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    As daddy use too say, dont piss down my back and tell me its raining, know who ordered minwors on the pizza pie!:eek:oooh:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    About like people painting a plow.
    I'm negative about that too.:wink:

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I never painted a plow, huh, I got to go get some massey fergerson red, I will have that turning plow looking pretty!:eek:oooh:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In all seriousnous I look at the skeg as sacrificial just like I would a plow point.
    Both of them you are dragging down a blind path.

Now if I go beef my plow points up and start protecting my skeg when I do hit something on that blind path my sacrificial part aint so sacrificial anymore.
    It's going to really tear something up from a clutch to shearing off bolts, or cracking a transom.

A skeg is nothing that any halfway decent shop can't fix cheaper then a lower unit.

It's this reason that I wouldn't protect a skeg with some of the protectors on the market. Dang thing aint worth a flip anyhow if it and the whole lower unit are tangled up in a stump on the bottom of the river.

15. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Well, the black fin seamed to work great on the ol Mercury, I know what your saying, but it just made sence too me!

Now about that red paint, its gotta do wonders when im turning the corn field! I think ill get some jet after burners, just bolt them to the frame and wire them up!

Ill get a big single rooster tail!

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

I dont know about the red paint.
    You see down here one side of the creek is Massey Ferguson owners and the other side is John Deere owners. I'm on the green side of the creek.

17. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    You north of me! But then you always were!

Mark, you gotta beef, state it!

Go grind your skeg, mine has been cared for! I dont put folks in the barn! You do!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Beef? I thought we were talking about plowing corn?

19. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

The good part is you never cared!:eek:oooh: